Discussion topic: Imbpaying for fast broadband bit im not getting it

This message was authored by Shawdy1985 This message was authored by: Shawdy1985

Imbpaying for fast broadband bit im not getting it

Hi I'm paying for fast broadband bit I'm not getting it , there's a telecom guy fitting fast broadband lines in the area and he's just informed me that you cNt get get fast broadband band in this area until February,  so can somebody please tell what going on ?

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: Imbpaying for fast broadband bit im not getting it

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Shawdy1985 if you currently have broadband delivered over a copper phone line then speed that system can deliver is controlled by the length of your line to the fibre cabinet if your line. Is say up to 300m long you should get the maximum speed offered of 80Mb/s as lines get longer due to the laws of physics speeds drop, on lines over 2km you can struggle to get 10Mb/s. Given the cost of delivery over a longer line is the same or higher as over a shorter line you pay the same price as everyone else but get lower speeds. Full fibre lines remove that issue as in practice they deliver the speed bought whatever the length,

Sky only use the Openreach national network, Openreach are gradually replacing copper lines with full fibre but its a big job and is taking years you can check if your line is currently planned be upgraded here https://www.openreach.com/fibre-checker

Other companies are also installing fibre in some areas and while they can offer faster speeds Sky don't offer services over these third party networks. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Shawdy1985
Topic Author
This message was authored by Shawdy1985 This message was authored by: Shawdy1985

I'm paying for fibre tho , but obviously not getting it  during peak times we can't even stream a film with out buffing 

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Hi @Shawdy1985 

Please post your router stats

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion