Discussion topic: I’ve just contracted to sky broadband full fibre 500. I expected to get a decent increase in downloa

This message was authored by Lewisham This message was authored by: Lewisham

I’ve just contracted to sky broadband full fibre 500. I expected to get a decent increase in downloa

I’ve just contracted to sky broadband full fibre 500. I expected to get a decent increase in download speed. However I haven’t noticed any difference from my previous contract!!! The speed checker says the speed to the router is 500mbs but my download speed is only 50-75 mbs!!! Why the difference? Do I need to change my router?? Please adviseI'm 

Best Answers
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

Re: I’ve just contracted to sky broadband full fibre 500. I expected to get a decent increase in dow

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Lewisham 

Did you already have full fibre infrastructure at the address?

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

Re: I’ve just contracted to sky broadband full fibre 500. I expected to get a decent increase in dow

@Lewisham 

Did you already have full fibre infrastructure at the address?

Lewisham
Topic Author

I have FTTP to the premises and my sky checker states that there is 500mbs at the router.. previously my contract was for only 75mbs so I was expecting quite a sped up in downloads but not happening!!!

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Lewisham 

If you are measuring over WiFi, that may be an inherent limit of the wireless device in use.  My previous phone consistently tested out 500Mbs BT FTTP at 40Mbs (the current one has just registered 170Mbs at three metres from the router)

Lewisham
Topic Author

Thanks for that, very interesting and I suppose that even though there is 500mvs coming in to the router, the output is hared amongst the devices being used??? I'm using an iPhone 13 so is there any way of increasing the limits of WiFi speed???

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Lewisham wrote:

I'm using an iPhone 13 so is there any way of increasing the limits of WiFi speed???

The iPhone 13 is specified as WiFi 6, so should be capable of high maximum speed.  There's no way to increase 'limits' but optimising WiFi through things like router location is possible.  The local wireless environment is a significant factor though.

Lewisham
Topic Author

Thanks TommyBGood you've given me plenty to think about!  Just one last thing - are the routers outputs generally capable of any speeds or are they "ganged down" to the contracted speed ?  My previous speed was 75mbs but now it is 500mbs so would expect to get some increase in speed all things being equal??? 

@Lewisham 

The limit of a Max Hub is theoretically that imposed by the WiFi 6 specification.  Sky supplies that Hub model for their Gigafast (900Mbs) FTTP as well.

Lewisham
Topic Author

Thanks Tommy👍  if I could buy you a pint, I would do so!!🍺. I may have to consider putting in a booster to see whether that helps. I have six devices using the  WiFi from time to time ( 2xLaptops, 2xiphone 13, and 2xipads) although they aren't usually on at the same time - usually it's just the phones!!! Suppose that can make a difference - would you think a booster might help ??

@Lewisham 

Boosters are actually relays / repeaters and are intended to extend wireless coverage to other areas within a property.  Despite the name they don't actually boost speed in the vicinity of the router.

Lewisham
Topic Author

Okay Tommy thank you very much for your advice and expertise. It has been most enlightening👍

Lewisham
Topic Author

Hi @TimmyBGood.  - just wanted to let you know that I tried my phone next to the router as you suggested and the speed was 500mbs+ but the same test up in the bedroom yielded only 50-75mbs so clearly the closer to the router if using wireless, the better!! Is it a good idea to put boosters around the house in order to improve overall coverage? If so what ones would you recommend ???

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion