Discussion topic: I've been told by a fibre company, that you can now leave your contract early without having to pay

This message was authored by JMR This message was authored by: JMR

I've been told by a fibre company, that you can now leave your contract early without having to pay

I've been informed by a fibre broadband sales man, that you can now leave you contract early to upgrade without having to pay early termination charges, is this true.

All Replies

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Re: I've been told by a fibre company, that you can now leave your contract early without having to

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@JMR 

If you currently still in contract with sky you will still be liable for early termination charges if you leave early.

Who advised you that?

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

Re: I've been told by a fibre company, that you can now leave your contract early without having to

@JMR wrote:

I've been informed by a fibre broadband sales man, that you can now leave you contract early to upgrade without having to pay early termination charges, is this true.

Only if this new company is going to cover any of your exit fees, otherwise you've been fed a line from their sales team.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

JMR
Topic Author

We have just had fibre fitted in the area and one of the companies (can't remember which one) said, that the goverment had bought in a new rule in September that you could get out of your contract for free, if you was upgrading to fibre. I was curious, to see if it was true. As I can't seem to find anything about it.

JMR
Topic Author

Yeah, it sounds like he's trying to scam a few people, quite concerning with the amount of elderly people in the area 

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@JMR  Likley to be upgrading from FTTC to FTTP with the same provider, not moving to a new one.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@JMR 

Maybe not a scam as such but likely to be an economical with the truth hard sell from an alt net employee.

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
JMR
Topic Author

He said directly changing from sky or bt to his company.

JMR
Topic Author

Thank you for the help, if they come around again, I'll get them to go into more detail and see where the catch is. 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@JMR wrote:

the goverment had bought in a new rule in September that you could get out of your contract for free, if you was upgrading to fibre. I was curious, to see if it was true.

That's not true.  There's an Ofcom regulation which stipulates an ISP must permit no-penalty exit if they can't provide the speed which they 'guaranteed' from their own service, but that's unrelated to the arrival of a faster competitor.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/advice/broadband-speeds-c... 

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion