Discussion topic: I need to change from 5 to 2.4 on sky broadband

This message was authored by john19 This message was authored by: john19

I need to change from 5 to 2.4 on sky broadband

Just got a new door bell but won't connect to broadband it seems it's  got to be 2.4 

Best Answers
This message was authored by best+of+the+best This message was authored by: best+of+the+best Answer

Re: I need to change from 5 to 2.4 on sky broadband

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@bob1234 wrote:

@best+of+the+best wrote:

@john19 I have the Ring Doorbell/Camera didn't have to faff about with 2.4ghz & 5ghz set it up within the Ring App same with Ring Chimes and Neos Smart Camera.

The Ring Pro is dual band but the original one is only 2.4Ghz.

Fair comment @bob1234 but still didn't have to go into the router settings to change anything or should I say didn't do any of what @GD1 posted.

Reason I say that is my 4K FireTv stick is connected to router at 5ghz and not 2.4ghz

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@john19   

- Log onto router and go to wifi
- Go to 5ghz band and untick synchronise 2.4ghz and 5ghz
- Go to 5ghz ssid and add -5g at the end
- Save
- Go to individual devices and assign wifi band accordingly

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by best+of+the+best This message was authored by: best+of+the+best

@john19 I have the Ring Doorbell/Camera didn't have to faff about with 2.4ghz & 5ghz set it up within the Ring App same with Ring Chimes and Neos Smart Camera.

This message was authored by bob1234 This message was authored by: bob1234

@best+of+the+best wrote:

This message was authored by best+of+the+best This message was authored by: best+of+the+best Answer

@bob1234 wrote:

@best+of+the+best wrote:

Fair comment @bob1234 but still didn't have to go into the router settings to change anything or should I say didn't do any of what @GD1 posted.

Reason I say that is my 4K FireTv stick is connected to router at 5ghz and not 2.4ghz

This message was authored by Minty+boy This message was authored by: Minty+boy

I have a video doorbell with the same problem and I'm struggling with it, don't want to mess up the settings on the broadband. Can someone please explain in simpler terms how to change the channels?

This message was authored by notagain This message was authored by: notagain

Your router broadcasts in two bands, 2.4 and 5Ghz. On many routers you have them both named the same so you cant see which one is which. Routers are simple if they are ISP ones. Log in and hopefiully you can change the names of the two channels, routers have fancy names like smart connect for having both names the same it varies from make to make  but basically I have my 2.4Ghz named differently its called the (SSID) and the 5Ghz named differently as well. This is the only way to attach a video doorbell that needs a seperate 2.4Ghz connection as I'm not sure if you just turn off 5Ghz for a while to let the doorbell join it will stay joined on 2.4Ghz after you turn 5Ghz back on.  write down the new names as you will need to change devices afterwards as devices that need higher bandwidth will need 5Ghz generally and 2.4Ghz for devices that dont, also use a decent password, over 10 characters for your wifi password, and router login if you can change that.

Think of it as to roads with different speeds, they just need renaming and its not hard, honestly just google how to do it with your router. Personally I got fed up of wifi cameras dropping, battery replacements etc so went for a professionally installed CCTV system which is all Ethernet and with a NRV, much more secure and less annoying and better image quality too.

Damned if you do, damned if you dont
This message was authored by best+of+the+best This message was authored by: best+of+the+best

@Minty+boy wrote:

I have a video doorbell with the same problem and I'm struggling with it, don't want to mess up the settings on the broadband. Can someone please explain in simpler terms how to change the channels?

Have you tried using the app for your video doorbell brand.

I've got Ring and Neos brand and never had to faff about changing settings in the router just follow the step by step instructions within the app simple.

Thankyou will have a go this evening 

I managed to get the doorbell working but when I put the names back to how it was it stopped working again. Do I need to leave the changed names on each channel? 

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

@Minty+boyYes you do need to leave the names different.

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.

Hi what about connecting other things to 5ghz afterwards will that just happen?

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

@Minty+boyIf the devices are 5 GHz then they will choose to connect if they can or use the 2.4 GHz.

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

If you've split the WiFi bands and given them different names then devices will only connect to the one you've remembered on the device. If you add both then your devices will likely always connect to 2.4ghz because it has the strongest signal so your devices will choose that as soon as they switch on or come within range. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

Thankyou all for your help 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion