Discussion topic: I moving to a new house and setting up as new customer. Do i need BT line rental?

This message was authored by justregisterme This message was authored by: justregisterme

I moving to a new house and setting up as new customer. Do i need BT line rental?

Hi.

I am moving to a new house and am looking at getting sky broadband and probably Sky Stream.

There is a BT Openreach socket inside.

Do i need to set up a BT account to activate the line account for myself first or can i just set up a Sky broadband account and it will work straight away?

I have no idea about any previous BT account at the address as it's a rental property so have no contact with the prvious tenant to ask.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Michael.

Best Answers
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

Re: I moving to a new house and setting up as new customer. Do i need BT line rental?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@justregisterme wrote:

So i don't need to contact BT at all, and Sky just deal with everything?

That's correct, although things can get complicated if a previous occupant has not either moved or cancelled their own broadband service at the address.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: I moving to a new house and setting up as new customer. Do i need BT line rental?

@justregisterme wrote:

There is a BT Openreach socket inside.

Do i need to set up a BT account to activate the line account for myself first or can i just set up a Sky broadband account and it will work straight away?

Openreach is owned by BT Group, but operationally separate.  You place an order with Sky (or any other ISP) and they make the required arrangement with Openreach for service activation.

Note however that if your address is in a 'fibre priority' area, all ISPs will seek to provision service over new FTTP rather than existing copper.

justregisterme
Topic Author
This message was authored by justregisterme This message was authored by: justregisterme

Thanks very much for the prompt response.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@justregisterme wrote:

Unfortunately there's typically a ten working day (two calendar week) lead time for FTTC activation over existing copper, and potentially much longer for a new FTTP connection.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

@justregisterme wrote:

That's correct, although things can get complicated if a previous occupant has not either moved or cancelled their own broadband service at the address.

justregisterme
Topic Author

Brilliant!

Thanks very much for your help.

Exactly what i needed to know.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion