Discussion topic: I am not able to use certain site when on wifi

This message was authored by Suzanne8121 This message was authored by: Suzanne8121

I am not able to use certain site when on wifi

I am not able to connect to some websites when using wifi but I can on my mobile hotspot. How can I rectify this?

All Replies

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

Re: I am not able to use certain site when on wifi

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Suzanne8121What setting is broadband shield set at. By default it is set at PG-13. This can be found in my account.

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.
This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Suzanne8121 

It may be sky broadband shield.

What sites can't you access?

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by Steve+Riley+sky This message was authored by: Steve+Riley+sky

I had the same problem this week. I couldn't access a website, though I could if I used my phones mobile data + hotspot. I also could using a vpn, so I knew it had nothing to do with my browser. 

I read that this can be caused by the websites company blocking an IP range which includes the one your public IP the Sky router has been assigned. The way to remidy this is to turn the router off, long enough for it's IP address to be 'forgotten'. I had mine turned off overnight and that caused it to get a different public IP and, bingo, I could access the website when on WiFi.

Hope this helps

This message was authored by Broadbanduser This message was authored by: Broadbanduser

I had the same problem using my Safari on my Ipad IOS 16.

I disabled Broadband Shield and the sites loaded fine.
Enabled the Broadband Shield and the problem returned.

Suggested fix if your using Safari browser for Apple IOS.

a. Go to Settings

b. Scroll down and click Safari

c. Scroll down and check if Hide IP address is enable

d. Click on this option / setting and turn this setting to OFf.

e, Clear browsing history under Safari

f. Start Safari

Check if the sites are loading

SKY broadband Shield is not compatible with this particular setting as some sites require your IP address and location to tracking your browser habbits.

Hope this helps.

This message was authored by LS2 This message was authored by: LS2

I just fixed this issue on an iMac by limiting my IP address tracking in the Wi-Fi settings. I've turned the setting back on and I can still access the website. This was after resetting the router with the help of Sky's tech team!

This message was authored by LaurenceBerry This message was authored by: LaurenceBerry

I had the exact same problem until I tried going behind a VPN. That solved the problem but it does slow down the download speed 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion