Discussion topic: How to switch to 3rd Party Router/Modem

Ifonefreek
Topic Author
This message was authored by Ifonefreek This message was authored by: Ifonefreek

Re: How to switch to 3rd Party Router/Modem

@cookiemonsteruk,  @Chrisee  - would you be able to answer my last post as it looks like @TimmyBGood may have gone away?

Thanks in advance

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Ifonefreek what string you use in the log in is irrelevant you could use your name or any random 8 (not sure that number is critical) letters or numbers so long as the @skydsl is attached to the user name part the two parts are separated by a pipe symbol | if your router wants a combined username and password field.

The log in is handled by the router not the modem which is set up as a simple bridge. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Ifonefreek
Topic Author
This message was authored by Ifonefreek This message was authored by: Ifonefreek

@Chrisee 

@cookiemonsteruk 

@TimmyBGood 

Morning All,  so just trying to connect everything up.  I can't seem to access the Vigor 166 modems GUI. Typing in 168.192.2.1 as per instructions, with ethernet cable directly to my laptop.  Keep getting error message 'this site can't be reached'

Any ideas please?  I'm desperate to get this up and running

Ifonefreek
Topic Author

Here's the setup steps from the Vigor manual

8A3EE96C-40F0-454B-9CC2-8B53331722FC.jpeg

@Ifonefreek check the IP address you are typing in your post you have transposed the 192 and 168. Also check that the laptop's ethernet card is set to get network settings from the Draytek and isnt using a fixed Ip address set for your main network.

65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Ifonefreek
Topic Author

@Chrisee thanks.  Was schoolboy error - had to connect to Asus router GUI and not modem. Finally got there.  Have setup the ASUS with seperate 2.4ghx and 5ghz SSIDs.  Not yet connecting to internet though as getting 'invalid account or password, please modify it.  Is this referring to changing it on the modem rather than the router?

Ifonefreek
Topic Author

@Chrisee password issue was too many character in username, so fixed that but intnernet light on router still red.

@Ifonefreek I have never used an Asus router myself so can't help but either search the forum where there are posts showing the correct settings or post you settings pages and hope someone who knows thecanswers posts

Ifonefreek
Topic Author
This message was authored by Ifonefreek This message was authored by: Ifonefreek Answer

Finally got this fixed yesterday after @Chrisee suggestion to search other posts.  If anyone else needs help with this issue, take alook a this THREAD and the post on page 2 by @Ranz07 showing the screenshot of the Asus router settings.

Basically, you input your @skydsl username and password and then change the WAN Connection Type from the default PPPoE to Automatic IP - job done!

Ifonefreek_0-1665910975394.png

This message was authored by Mr+Slant This message was authored by: Mr+Slant

Well done for posting the solution that worked for you.

Too many people just leave a thread "hanging" when they find the solution.

This message was authored by soco70 This message was authored by: soco70

If anyone is able to answer who has tried this setup recently, is there still a generic username and password as mentioned in other posts? 

This message was authored by TrebleTA This message was authored by: TrebleTA

Think the @ sky dsl use to be the mac address of the device with out the: then the pipe and sky dsl bit.

The password I belive was a min of 8 not sure on max length. Char and a number.

Sky FTTP, SR203 hub self bridged to Asus AX82U. Sky Q UHD to Samsung QE55S95BAYXXU , Sky Q Mini.
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@soco70 

The generic login string if you have Fibre in the UK is in the format DHCP Option 61 and the string is abc123@skydsl|abc123

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion