Discussion topic: Hmm - are Openreach currently installing Ultrafast if it involves work inside?

This message was authored by Ant8er1 This message was authored by: Ant8er1

Hmm - are Openreach currently installing Ultrafast if it involves work inside?

I'm expecting an engineer visit to upgrade us from Superfast to Ultrafast. I was told they would need to install an ONT box inside..  The engineer is scheduled to come today between 8am and 1pm. I was told they might get in touch beforehand to confirm, but not always. I haven't heard anything but that's OK - we're all ready for the visit. 

But I've just checked my orders on the Sky website and I can see this message, which I haven't seen before:

"Engineer visits during COVID-19

We’re all working differently in these challenging times to keep our colleagues, partners and customers safe, and to make sure our most vulnerable customers are prioritised.

Because of this, Openreach are currently minimising any work inside the home. That means Broadband & Talk orders that need access to the home to install a new line will be paused until June – but this might change.

If you’re switching to Sky Broadband or moving home and you have an engineer booked to install your new line, then Openreach will still attempt to connect your service but they’ll now try and do that from outside your home, so you might not see an engineer on the day.

If they can get you up and running, then you’ll still be connected on the activation date in your welcome letter or email – don’t forget this can be anytime up to midnight. But if they can’t, we’ll get in touch to postpone your installation."

Is this something new?  The visit was booked a couple of weeks ago, on the phone, when I upgraded.  Nothing was said at the time.  I'm assuming we can't upgrade to FTTP (which is what we were told we'd have) unless someone comes into the house to fit the ONT?

All Replies

This message was authored by boo1232 This message was authored by: boo1232

Re: Hmm - are Openreach currently installing Ultrafast if it involves work inside?

They say that on every email no matter what is being installed. 

Ant8er1
Topic Author

Re: Hmm - are Openreach currently installing Ultrafast if it involves work inside?

But is it true, or is it just a disclaimer? 

Ant8er1
Topic Author

I have my answer thank you. The engineer has turend up and will be able to fit the ONT inside 🙂

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Ant8er1 wrote:

Because of this, Openreach are currently minimising any work inside the home. That means Broadband & Talk orders that need access to the home to install a new line will be paused until June

That's referring to June 2021 (or possibly even June 2020).  Someone really needs to update their boilerplate text ; )

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion