Discussion topic: Help needed for SKY Modem / Boosters replacements (FTTH - Ireland)

This message was authored by Zorton This message was authored by: Zorton

Help needed for SKY Modem / Boosters replacements (FTTH - Ireland)

I currently have "Ultra-Fast" Sky Broadband in the home which is FTTH(FTTP).

When it was installed a couple of years ago - the engineers ran the line into one end of a rectangular shaped Dormer Bungalow and then put the Modem at the same end of the house in the hallway.
To give context, house is on 2 stories and is around 2700sqft.

We were also provided a Sky Q WIFI Booster which is located further down the same hallway and just under the stairs.

My hope is to increase speed received at various locations, cut out black spots, increase relaiabilty.
I had initially thought to get another Sky Q Booster and place it upstairs to se if that would assist.

However, have been looking at optins such as the" ASUS RT-AX86U" which seems to get recommended on here regularly as a replacement for the Sky Hub. Is there boosters that can be used in conjunction with this router ?

Or are there possibly any other options to consider - the main issue I have is that the Modem is located at one end of a long house and that is the primary problem.

I am based in Ireland so I believe our Sky differs slightly to teh UK.
Many Thanks and all suggestions / comments welcomed.

All Replies

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Re: Help needed for SKY Modem / Boosters replacements (FTTH - Ireland)

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Zorton 

All asus rt ax routers support both router and aimesh node ie the same model can both be a router and a satellite node. So two rt ax68u can each cover close to 4.5 sq ft. If you decide on using a different rt ax as mesh node then the highest spec asus should be the router .  ie rt ax68u would have higher spec than the 

Rt ax56u

Rt ax 58u etc

So the last 2 would be mesh nodes

Remember if you directly replace the sky hub then you lose internet calls however there is nothing stopping you from switching wifi off on the sky hub and ethernet the primary asus router to the sky hub and put the asus into access point mode and you should still be able to set up satellite mesh nodes using the aimesh functionality om all rt ax routers

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
Zorton
Topic Author
This message was authored by Zorton This message was authored by: Zorton

Re: Help needed for SKY Modem / Boosters replacements (FTTH - Ireland)

@cookiemonsteruk 
Thank you for that info and reply.

My only concern regarding trying out a new router is the investment of €300 and then obviously will need a 2nd to boost the signal (mesh).

Will read through more threads to see why type of improvements transpired from switching over..

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion