Discussion topic: Gigafast only achieving 400Mbps

This message was authored by KellyW1609 This message was authored by: KellyW1609

Gigafast only achieving 400Mbps

I recently upgraded to Gigafast and have only been achieving max download speeds of around 400Mbps.

I have the previous black Sky Hub and saw that they now have WiFi Max which offers a new hub.

Should I be upgrading to the new hub to get the minimum download speed of 600Mbps or would this not make a difference?

Note: Due to the position of the router/ hub most of our devices have to be connected wirelessly.

All Replies

This message was authored by mormegil This message was authored by: mormegil

Re: Gigafast only achieving 400Mbps

Is your 400mbps direct to the hub or via WiFi?

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Gigafast only achieving 400Mbps

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@KellyW1609 

400Mbs would be a very good speed over WiFi from an 802.11ac (WiFi 5) router, which is what the Sky Broadband Hub is.

The Max Hub is WiFi 6 (802.11ax) and so should  be faster, but only for WiFi 6 client devices.

It's perhaps also worth noting that very few individual client devices actually benefit from even a small fraction of Gigabit speed: the point of that kind of bandwidth is really to supply multiple hardware items with 'enough' connection simultaneously.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion