Discussion topic: Broadband Router - Existing

This message was authored by BobT2 This message was authored by: BobT2

Broadband Router - Existing

Hi All -  I'm thinking of switching from Virgin.  Currently Virgin Router is situated upstairs rear office of property.  Broadband cable enters ground floor front at rear of TV and is run through the house (concealed) to office.  A BB supply runs from Virgin Router back to rear area of TV to a splitter that provides hard wiring for TV and outlet for my Laptop + NOW box.  How will 2No. computers in rear office connect to Broadband?  I'm assuming Virgin Router will go.  Generally wireless is poor throughout the house (not a problem because all BB activity is confined to TV area and office) and to be honest I am more than happy with the current hard-wired layout.  Any pointers/information that can be offered would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

BobT2

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: Broadband Router - Existing

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@BobT2 first point Sky only use the Openreach network so the current Virgin connection will be redundant.

If Openreach install a new line then there will be some choice in where the ONT (assuming you are getting full fibre) or master socket if its a copper line are located but normally they will be near a front external wall. The connection from there to the Sky hub is by ethernet for full fibre or a dsl cable if copper. Virgin normally use coax cable which is unsuitable for either type of Openreach system. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
BobT2
Topic Author
This message was authored by BobT2 This message was authored by: BobT2

Re: Broadband Router - Existing

Hi Chrisee - Thank you for your response.  Your explanation is very clear and helpful. The information re Virgin use of co-ax cable is particularly relevant.

Thanks again for a spot-on response.

Do take care.

Kindest Regards

BobT2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion