Discussion topic: Gaming router

This message was authored by ADZ4277 This message was authored by: ADZ4277

Gaming router

Hi I have a gaming router which works great and my WiFi signal has improved massively.  However I'm having to run it via my old sky router by a ethernet. So basically cable comes out of wall into sky router then a ethernet from there to my gaming router. Is there a way I can just have the cable coming from my wall to the new gaming router and not have to use the sky router as well. Its annoying having 2 big routers side by side. My new gaming router is a TP Link

Archer GX90 AX6600 Wi-Fi 6 Tri-Band Router

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Gaming router

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@ADZ4277 wrote:

So basically cable comes out of wall into sky router then a ethernet from there to my gaming router. Is there a way I can just have the cable coming from my wall to the new gaming router and not have to use the sky router as well. 

If your Sky Hub is plugged into a telephone wall socket then no: that model of TP-Link router does not contain a built-in VDSL modem.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
ADZ4277
Topic Author

It doesn't come out of phone socket I'll send a pic it's cable I have 1gb speed 

ADZ4277
Topic Author

Screenshot_20230416_155243_Gallery.jpg

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@ADZ4277 

There may be a chance of getting a tp link ax router directly connected to that ont using dhcp v6 prefix delegation as below :-

Tp link AX is on latest firmware

IPV6 on (advanced menu option)

Dynamic IP (SLAAC/DHCPv6)

advanced settings: DHCPv6

prefix delegation enabled

DNS address: get dynamically from ISP

IPv6 LAN

SLAAC + stateless DHCP

MAC Clone: Use Default Mac address

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
ADZ4277
Topic Author

Ok not sure I fully understand what you mean, but I'll give it ago. Would it improve my speed doing all this do you think? 

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@ADZ4277 

With DHCPv6 prefix delegation (PD) the Sky Hub can be removed if it works and TP-Link is connected directly to the optical network terminal (ONT), eg: the box on the wall. 80% of broadband exchanges work with DHCPv6 PD.

Remember when you connect it up leave everything off for 30 minutes before switching it on because this ensures Sky's backend clears the data about the old router being connected.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@ADZ4277 

That's not what I would describe as 'comes out of wall' ; )

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion