Discussion topic: Gaming Lag on Ultrafast Plus Fibre

This message was authored by JPR007 This message was authored by: JPR007

Re: Gaming Lag on Ultrafast Plus Fibre

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@buggyy wrote:

No devices added, only 4 reachable other WiFi routers in my close neighborhood and not one of them is on sky. So what else could possibly caused the connection to be so much worse than before? 

I have now run an Ethernet cable to my console and that has solved the issue, although the mrs is not too happy with a bright yellow cable running through the house. (Only one long enough I could find at work to reach). Until I inevitably have a buy another, has anyone tried the powerline adapters and do you think this could solve my problem?

@buggyy 4 other networks is more than enough to cause issues on WiFi, if connected on 2.4Ghz you could only have up to 3 concurrent networks before you have overlap (channels 1,6 and 11).

The ISP is irrelevant, the radio waves in your house are not all split and reserved for a different ISP. Most ISP supplied routers are rather basic and built to a price.... most use the same 5Ghz channel (36) by default, so even if you have one adjacent network on that you already have networks overlapping/interfering. In theory 5Ghz is less susceptible to interference as the signal doesn't travel as far, but the same principles apply for both frequencies.

As for powerline adapters, they will be superior to Wi-Fi but not as good as proper Ethernet. Actual speeds will be affected by the quality of your mains wiring, but the only way to find out is to try a set. TP-link are probably one of the best know brands, go for something in the AV1xxx line to achieve best possible speeds.

Looking at the entire thread, and the fact you've tried a cable and there's no issue, just proves it the local WiFi environment more than anything else. Just because you might have been able to use wifi today ok, does not guarantee it'll be the same tomorrow. That's the physics of using radio waves to transmit data. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Zen Superfast (FTTC), Fritzbox 7530, Sky Q 2TB UHD v3 (x1), Sky Q Mini (x2), Alienware Area 51-M, Panasonic TX-65HZ1000B, Denon AVR-X6300H, B&W CM8 S2, B&W CM1 S2 (x2), B&W CM Centre S2, REL S3 SHO (x2), Panasonic TX-P42G30B, Monitor Audio RS6, Marantz PM7001 KI, Denon HEOS 1 HS2 (x2), B&W P7, iPad Pro 12.9" (5th Gen), iPhone 14 Pro Max, iPad Mini 6 (work)

** No - I have nothing to do with Sky **
This message was authored by Leann_84 This message was authored by: Leann_84

Re: Gaming Lag on Ultrafast Plus Fibre

I'm having this same problem. I'm in the process of going back to bt, bt buy you out of your contract. Get better internet hot spotting from my phone. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion