Discussion topic: Fibre Install- new build

This message was authored by Gooner357 This message was authored by: Gooner357

Fibre Install- new build

Hi

I'm about to move into a new build. Full fibre install is booked for a couple of weeks time but when there yesterday the ONT is installed in the cupboard under the stairs. I also have Ethernet ports wired to three rooms that all come back to a small 3port patch panel in the same cupboard. 

We have Dect phones (1 base and 2 satellite handsets) and wanted to know if this is going to require the router to be plugged into the ONT in the cupboard and therefore the base station to the router also. 

I'd prefer the router to be in one of the other rooms that has an Ethernet port but can't then see of a way I could connect the ONT to the router that way and then still be able to push wired Ethernet to the other two rooms. 

Any ideas would be welcomed

thanks

Best Answers
This message was authored by Eeeps This message was authored by: Eeeps Answer

Re: Fibre Install- new build

@Gooner357 wrote:

Thanks @Chrisee @that's what I thought would be the case. 

@Eeeps Nor very familiar with managed switches. Would the enable 2 way traffic on a single cable ? ( I.e. I send the ONT connection to another room, use that connection in the router and somehow send that signal back to the original port in the cupboard to distribute around the house) ?

Sorry but not really sure how this would work. 

Yes, exactly that. It's the VLAN (Virtual Lan) facility that provides this.

You configure two VLANs on the switches - one for the ONT WAN traffic and the other for LAN traffic.

You then associate the VLAN with the physical ports on the switches. In your case one port at each end for the ONT WAN VLAN and the remaining on the LAN VLAN.

For all intents and purposes it then acts as though you have two physical cables between the end points.

Another thought - did you get any telephone extension wiring fitted from the 'cupboard'?

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Gooner357 

Not sure if ethernet from ont to patch panel would work (as i would imagine they are lan ports) and then ethernet from a socket in one of the rooms to the router

Probably best ethernet from ont to hub in the cupboard and then ethernet back into patch panel followed by an access point in what ever room you want to supply broadband to.

Or a long ethernet cable to get the router out of the cupboard to a more convenient location

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@Gooner357 

@TimmyBGood 

Just read this

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/Router-located-in-cupboard/td-p/4328560

Sounds similar

Would ethernet from ont to patch panel and router etherneted to a ethernet port in one of the rooms work?

Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

Gooner357
Topic Author

Yeah that's sort of what I was thinking. Would I still have to plug the base unit of the phone into the router in the cupboard or could that be plugged into an access point ?

@Gooner357 

Waiting for response from another superuser re the ont to patch panel option but whichever way it goes the base dect phone will need to be connected to the hub

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Gooner357 @cookiemonsteruk 

As long as it's a contiguous unswitched cable run, that should work.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Gooner357 the DECT base station plugs directly into the router. Quite why developers consider under stairs cupboards are good places to install wireless routers is something you have to take up with them. .

However given some of the other stupidity I have seen around networking and AV cabelling in new houses you are fortunate if they have properly installed a patch panel in your property. Unfortunstely unless there are two ethernet points in one room you can either have the router in the cupboard with the DECT base station and use the other ethernet points by connecting them to the LAN on the hub or choose one room for the Sky hub and lose the use of the other ethernet points as you cannot use one cable for both LAN and WAN traffic.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by Eeeps This message was authored by: Eeeps

The other possibility is to use a couple of VLAN capable managed switches at each end of the single cable (e.g. TL-SG105E)

Gooner357
Topic Author

@Eeeps Nor very familiar with managed switches. Would the enable 2 way traffic on a single cable ? ( I.e. I send the ONT connection to another room, use that connection in the router and somehow send that signal back to the original port in the cupboard to distribute around the house) ?

@Gooner357 

It would depend what @TimmyBGood means by 

"contiguous unswitched cable run, that should work."

Do you have a photo of the patch panel/ make and modeland/or specs

Gooner357
Topic Author

@cookiemonsteruk 

Not at the moment. Going back next week so will get some then and add in here. I'm probably being kind calling it a patch panel. Just a plate with 3 Ethernet ports on it which I assume just are the other end of 3 cable runs (1 to each room I've had an Ethernet port added). 

@Gooner357 

Possibly then if if they are distinct runs each only supplying a specific room then the ont to "patch panel" then ethernet the router to the corresponding socket in which ever room you prefer should work

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Gooner357 it maybe possible to get a second cable pulled through for the WAN run assuming the builders used conduit leaving the LAN side to use the orginal cable. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by Eeeps This message was authored by: Eeeps Answer

@Gooner357 wrote:

Yes, exactly that. It's the VLAN (Virtual Lan) facility that provides this.

You configure two VLANs on the switches - one for the ONT WAN traffic and the other for LAN traffic.

You then associate the VLAN with the physical ports on the switches. In your case one port at each end for the ONT WAN VLAN and the remaining on the LAN VLAN.

For all intents and purposes it then acts as though you have two physical cables between the end points.

Another thought - did you get any telephone extension wiring fitted from the 'cupboard'?

Gooner357
Topic Author

@Eeeps 
Thanks very much I think that's exactly what I need to do.
No there is no phone extension sockets anywhere in the house unfortunately othwerwise that would have been a nice quick solution.

Thanks for your help.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion