Discussion topic: FTTP install

This message was authored by Synner This message was authored by: Synner

FTTP install

Hi all, looking for a bit of advice...

Got sky fibre due to be installed 10th November, I picked this date because I will be home from work on that day...

Had a phone call today from a BT Openreach engineer who was outside my house wanting to install fibre from the pole to the house and put up a grey box.  I asked him to replace the existing copper cable (we're currently with virgin media so the copper cable wasn't in use).

Having arrived home the engineer has put the grey box right by the external virgin media box, unfortunately the place it has been installed on the outside wall is right where the power fuse box for the house is on the inside (in a kitchen cupboard).  This will be impossible to directly install the fibre on the inside of the house.

Is it possible for the installer on the 10th to run fibre along the outside wall further down the house and enter into the lounge..?  I called sky and was told they go directly behind the grey box, unfortunately this isn't possible.  I was then told they will "figure it out on the day"....

Thanks,

Bri

Best Answers
This message was authored by Skull+Treaty This message was authored by: Skull+Treaty Answer

Re: FTTP install

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Synner 

My CSP (grey box) is by the front door, with a 20 metre run of fibre around to the side of the house where it then enters my lounge and terminates in the ONT. So ours is nowhere near the CSP. 

"Sometimes, the only choices you have are bad ones, but you still have to choose"

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Skull+Treaty This message was authored by: Skull+Treaty Answer

@Synner 

My CSP (grey box) is by the front door, with a 20 metre run of fibre around to the side of the house where it then enters my lounge and terminates in the ONT. So ours is nowhere near the CSP. 

"Sometimes, the only choices you have are bad ones, but you still have to choose"
Synner
Topic Author

Hi, thanks for the reassurance, we've waited for FTTP to be available for a few years and now that it is it looked like it was going to turn into a painful install experience.

Bri

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Synner the engineer who comes on the 10th will install the ONT where you want it assuming its practical if it isnt they should explain why and agree an alternative location with you. . 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Synner 

In theory a 'standard' FTTP installation allows ten metres between CSP and ONT, but in practice the installers have thirty metre fibre optic pigtails available and cut these to length, so typically don't particularly care about going longer as long as this doesn't cause their schedule to slip. They won't want to go through multiple internal walls though.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Synner
Topic Author

Thanks for that.  It'll only be a 3-4 metre run to where I want the cable coming into the house so hopefully should be good.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion