Discussion topic: Ethernet Switch slowing Wifi

This message was authored by Bert82 This message was authored by: Bert82

Ethernet Switch slowing Wifi

Hi,

I've recently connected a Network Switch to my router and ever since the Wifi connection has been awful for most devices and even the wired connections appear unstable. The router only has 2 ports, and I wanted to connect more devices to it with ethernet to improve reliability and speed (Sky Q, SmartTV, Philips Hue Bridge and AppleTV).

I've tried different cables and different combinations of devices attached but all result in the same outcome of unstable Wifi.

I found this old POST that appears to be similar to my issue but there wasn't a clear resolution. I suspect it could be something to do with the routers firmware but not sure how I tell if I'm on the latest one and if a fix was ever acknowledged by Sky.

Any help or guidance would be much appreiciated.

Router details

ModelER110

Firmware Version4.02.0200.R

DSL Firmware Version: A2pv6F039m1.d24m

Thanks

Rob

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Ethernet Switch slowing Wifi

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Bert82 wrote:

Router details

ModelER110

Firmware Version4.02.0200.R

That doesn't seem to match either of the release numbers listed here.

Is there a reasonable spacing between switch and Hub, the Hub and the switch power supply, and between the two transformers?

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Bert82
Topic Author

Is there anywhere that Sky details the release versions so I can at least see how up to date mine is?

There's reasonable distances between them all. Can there be interferance when they're to close?

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Bert82 

The page I linked to has release versions at the bottom.

Yes, kit can interfere, particularly if in close proximity.  Putting a Q Hub on top of a main Q box is a good way to mess to both, despite their form-factor positively inviting users to do so.

Bert82
Topic Author

Thanks, I did see those but had no idea of when they were released and which one would be related to the router I have.

Do you or any others have any more thoughts on what it could be? Is there anyway I can force my router to update to the latest version or even download it from somewhere to atleast rule it out?

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@Bert82 
What switch is it?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

@Bert82 wrote:

Is there anyway I can force my router to update to the latest version or even download it from somewhere to atleast rule it out?

No, and no.  Sky can push firmware out to particular Hubs, but only after a fault is logged with them (and where a firmware update exists)

Bert82
Topic Author

@jamesn123 

It was linked in the original post. I also linked a very similar post where another sky user was having the same issue but there was any resolution detailed.

Bert82
Topic Author

Sorry, wasn't any resolution.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Bert82 nothing unusual with your simple TP-Link switch and it should not cause wifi issues with the hub unless as @TimmyBGood was thinking it somehow causes interference which would be highly unusual but a dodgy unit might cause issues but its very unusual.

I have used similar switches myself for years without issue with my Sky hub and while Sky's firmware can be flaky this is not something I have seen reported more than once or experienced myself. Is it possible that your issue maybe co-incidental rather than being caused by the switch directly?  Has something else changed or could it be interference from a neighbours network?

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Bert82
Topic Author

Thanks @Chrisee 

I'd have expected the issue to still be present if this was an issue external to my network but as soon as the switch is removed from the network the Wifi functions as expected.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Bert82 that makes the switch the most likely cause as its very unlikely to be the hub itself as a firmware fault would affect many customers which there is no evidence it is. Those TP-Link switches are extremly common so I doubt its a design fault as such either. Very odd.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by Weeaidy This message was authored by: Weeaidy

Hi, did you ever get a resolution for this?

Im literally getting the same issue when just connected to a Tp-link network switch.

Heeded more ports for wireless alarm, Hive hub, and smart doorbell. Now WiFi is terrible. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion