Discussion topic: Eero 6 installation

This message was authored by Wifiboost71 This message was authored by: Wifiboost71

Eero 6 installation

Hello - I am a novice at this but have existing Eero 6 that i have set up but exists in addition to Sky Router Wifi because I dont know how to change Sky Q and 2 mini boxes to not need the Sky Router to work properly.  When i disable Sky Wifi and switch main box to Eero wifi the mini boxes wont work and pick up signal from main box to operate.  Can anyone help?   I cant connect sky box via ethernet able to EEro - Router in another room

All Replies

This message was authored by max+bank This message was authored by: max+bank

Re: Eero 6 installation

A couple of ideas:

Change the Eero wifi network name and SSID to the same as the sky router. The Sky Q may then see it ok and you can then turn off the sky router wifi.  You can then restrict the SkyQ to mini wifi network bands to help performance. 

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/Sky-Q-main-box-amp-eero-router/m-p/4271601

Otherwise get a second eero and place it so the SkyQ box can be on a wired connection and then do the same with the SkyQ wifi.

Once working make sure you turn off the router wifi.

Wifiboost71
Topic Author
This message was authored by Wifiboost71 This message was authored by: Wifiboost71

Thanks for response I have tried adding a new eero 6 with Ethernet cable to the sky box but sky box won't recognise and keeps connecting to the Sky wifi.  

I have tried switching wifi  on Q hub and mini hubs but can't access the advanced settings 

switch off Ski WiFi 2.4 and 5 has also reduced by broadband speeds on the eero??

confused 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Wifiboost71 

1) Press the ‘Home’ button on your remote control.
2) Scroll down to highlight ‘Settings’ but DO NOTpress select.
3) Press ‘001’.
4) Press ‘Select’

Then: Network -

- 2.4Ghz wireless - Off

- 5Ghz wireless - Off

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Make sure you have turned off the wifi on the router as well. 

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/Turning-off-sky-router-wifi/td-p/3889852

Once the sky Q box is working on the ethernet connection, you can re-enable the Sky Q box wifi in the limited bandwidth mode so it talks to the Sky Mini. 

Wifiboost71
Topic Author

Thank you.  All worked ok until I try to use the mini box and they have tried to reset but can't get them connected to the main box on WiFi. Get as far as step 1 press select to connect with WiFi and hangs?   

also when I switch the mini box on the main box defaults back to the WiFi connection - assuming cos that is signal coming from mini box??  

Wifiboost71
Topic Author

Update - one mini has connected on and able to reactivate connection with main Sky q - the other one goes through reset and then gets to step 1 but won't move passed this by pressing Select.  

Although I no longer have a mini box, as a suggestion, maybe try a full reset on the mini box.

Switch the Sky Q Mini box off at the mains.
Hold down the Reset button on the back of the Sky Q Mini box and switch it back on at the mains.
Keep holding it until the light on the front flashes red and green. This will take about 30 seconds.
Once it flashes red and green, press the standby button on the front of the box.
If the lights don't show after 30 seconds, repeat steps 1 to 2.
The box will then restart.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion