Discussion topic: Download speed very low

This message was authored by bridgey81 This message was authored by: bridgey81

Download speed very low

Hi,

Yesterday I started getting crazy low download speeds over WiFi that were so low I struggled to watch Netflix (about 3mbps). I usually get around 50-60mbps over WiFi. Tried all the usual stuff (rebooting router, etc) but no joy.

I've tried again this morning and, while it's slightly better, I'm still only getting around 10mbps download speeds. I've also tried connecting via an ethernet cable and the speeds are still low.

I've run the tests on the MySky app and it's showing that there are no issues locally and I'm getting my usual 79mbps speed, which I find bizarre when I'm only getting around 10mbps over WiFi in the same room and via ethernet. Even more weird is the fact that my upload speeds are normal (around 18mpbs) so are currently better than my download speeds!

Please can someone help me?!

All Replies

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

Re: Download speed very low

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@bridgey81   Please can you post your router stats so the forum can advise on any issues. This link explains how to do that https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/How-to-find-your-Sky-Broadband-router-stats/td-p/2855717#

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

bridgey81
Topic Author

Screenshot_20220813-101003_Chrome.jpg

bridgey81
Topic Author

@GD1 hope I've done that right!

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@bridgey81  Your stats show you are getting the maximum your line support at 80mbps your issues are likely to be wifi related.

https://www.sky.com/help/home/broadband/my-broadband-speed/improving-wi-fi-signal-to-my-devices/arti...

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

bridgey81
Topic Author

Thank you, although I had already done the test that showed the speed to my router is fine - it's the speeds my devices are getting that are abysmal, both over WiFi and ethernet, which only started happening yesterday.

Is there a way of solving this? Has my router developed a fault? Any help would be appreciated!

bridgey81
Topic Author

An update on this - I've spent a long time on the phone to Sky today and they couldn't work out what the problem was, so decided the only thing was that it must be a fault with my router and are sending me a new one.

However... out of interest, I downloaded a free VPN and tested with that just now, and my WiFi download speeds were back to normal. Switched the VPN off and back to slow again.

Reading some of the posts on here, it seems like others are having this problem too, so there appears to be an issue at Sky's end that they don't know how to solve yet.

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@bridgey81 

Try unplugging the router for 30mins to get a fresh IP

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
bridgey81
Topic Author

Does that work? I'll definitely give it a try and see what happens anyway 👍🏻

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@bridgey81 

Yes it can often work as a new public IP will often change how your data is routed through Skys network. You may currently be on an IP that is going through a bad node 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion