Discussion topic: Delayed activation due to 'line problems'... Possible reason/solution?

This message was authored by theaxeman This message was authored by: theaxeman

Delayed activation due to 'line problems'... Possible reason/solution?

I signed up for an ultrafast account recently and was quoted an activation date of the 22nd Sept because my home is already set up for fibre broadband. Later on that day, however, the activation date was changed to the 3rd of October.

Speaking to a sales rep, I was told that during the initial line check, some kind of error had popped up and so they'd need to send an engineer to sort it, hence the delay.

Prior to opting for Sky ultrafast, I had signed up for another provider but, after reading further reviews of this provider, immediately contacted them and asked them to cancel my package and abort installation. I then signed up for ultrafast.

Is it possible that the initial provider put some kind of hold on my fibre line and that is the error that Sky detected? If so is it possible to recheck the line, now that the first provider is cancelled, in order to activate sooner without the need for an engineer? It would save everyone time and hassle.

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Re: Delayed activation due to 'line problems'... Possible reason/solution?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@theaxeman 

Even if another provider had put some sort of halt/block on the line this wouldnt cause Sky's systems to tell them you need an engineer. Its very likely Openreach need to attend and finish off the install in some way. Does your home already have the white Openreach ONT on the wall with it all powered up?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
theaxeman
Topic Author

Thanks for the response.

By ONT I'm assuming you mean the BT box in the boiler cupboard. It's there and plugged in, but the plug wasn't on. I've switched it on and now it's got a green light for power and for PON, but shows nothing for LOS or LAN. There's also an ethernet cable hanging out of it marked LAN/WAN.

Does that help?

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@theaxeman 

Yes to me that sounds like its good to go and an order just needs to be placed. There is no need for an engineer to attend your property. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
theaxeman
Topic Author

Hmm sounds like it's worth a call to sky then.

Thanks for the help 👍

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion