Discussion topic: DHCP settings for Sky FTTP (ONT) with Asus ZenWifi AX (XT8)?

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Re: DHCP settings for Sky FTTP (ONT) with Asus ZenWifi AX (XT8)?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@RichTheNewbie 

If you are moving to ultrafast via fttp the ont acts as the modem

nokia_ONT_fttp_openreach.jpg

The asus is then etherneted to the port marked "port" on the ont via the blue wan port on the asus

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by RichTheNewbie This message was authored by: RichTheNewbie

I see. Thanks @cookiemonsteruk .

So essentially it'd be almost a straight swap from the virgin setup with no setup needed? Cable from this ONT box into the ASUS and that's it? 

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@RichTheNewbie 

Apart from the obligatory dhcp option 61 :-

anything@skydsl|anything on the asus.

It should already be the in the qis setup if not attach asus to the sky hub and sequentially update firmware until client identifier option 61 shows then remove sky hub

Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

This message was authored by RichTheNewbie This message was authored by: RichTheNewbie

Just a belated quick thanks @cookiemonsteruk - when the time comes, and assuming Sky offer a good price to bundle in the fttp, I'll be referring back to this.

This message was authored by Benflugel This message was authored by: Benflugel

I've just placed an order for Sky's new gigafast service. I've only just been connected to FTTP and moving from non-Sky FTTC. I have a Linksys Velop AX4200 setup which I believe won't work with Sky FTTP.

I'm keen on the XT8 but unclear whether I can have more that two nodes with ethernet backhaul with the XT8. The other option is to use the Q router and Q Mini boxes but am I right in thinking the Wi-Fi speeds on Q's mesh is pretty poor?

@Benflugel 

Read this below and probably call asus for verification. This says 5 but others say 2 or 3

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1044191/

autora
Topic Author
This message was authored by autora This message was authored by: autora

I have 1 node on ethernet backhaul and the wifi is amazing and can confirm when i was using the sky mesh wifi it was worse but okay. Not done it myself but I would be surprised if you couldn't have multiple nodes using ethernet backhaul as it supports the asus zen mesh that allows a lot of different asus modems to act as a node.

@autora 

With the asus zenwifi xt8 being an ax6000 model you would go would ideally be wifi 6 ax with ax6000 which means either another xt8 or rt ax88u.  But the link above does confirm 5 aimesh nodes using only wifi backhaul more if you're using ethernet backhaul.

Thanks for the replies, really appreciated.

I've ordered myself 4 x XT8s. Got a good deal on Amazon's Warehouse deals. Only snag is I'm now getting grief about us not having our landline available so I'm back to sticking to my guns and having WiFi 6 on our gig connection or keeping the Sky router and using our Q Mini boxes (all wired in) as our Wi-Fi hotspots.

We have WiFi 6 capable phones and laptops so having the XT8s will make a difference, I think, over the Q WiFi.

If only someone could invent a phone you can use whilst out an about. A "mobile" device of some sort.....

Just want to thank Mae-3 for the screenshots here. Got Sky Gigafast installed today and have an Asus XT8 mesh system running this perfectly thanks to the instructions on here.

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@Benflugel 

Nothing stops you from using a third-party non-proprietary VoIP solution with Asus router by connecting an ATA adaptor and adding a subscription which costs about £6 per month for a landline.

-------

Zen internet on FTTP (900Mbps down, 100Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.

@mae-3 @cookiemonsteruk 

Hi guys.

After over a year and a half of relatively trouble free usage of the XT8s, and the settings provided on this thread, I've suddenly started getting the "Your ISP's DHCP does not function properly" message, after a reboot, and no internet.
Settings all set to what's been said in this thread previously (and used to work). So slightly baffled as what to do!

Any suggestions welcome, or warnings that something has been changed or broken Sky side.

Thanks as always.

And you can now ignore the above post of mine...turns out the DHCP error was actually Sky's whole broadband network going down 😂 All back to normal now!

This message was authored by Senseitional This message was authored by: Senseitional

@mae-3 Just wanted to thank you, since I spotted this thread and have followed recommendations on a similar setup. Some things are different in the settings now, but all seems to be working well. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion