Discussion topic: DHCP settings for Sky FTTP (ONT) with Asus ZenWifi AX (XT8)?

This message was authored by autora This message was authored by: autora

DHCP settings for Sky FTTP (ONT) with Asus ZenWifi AX (XT8)?

Hey guys,

I have Sky FTTP and wanted better Wifi than the Sky router would provide and wanted to completely swap it out (i.e. connect the Asus router to the ONT)

I have changed the following Asus router settings:

IPv6: 

* Connection type: native

* DHCP-PD: enable

I didn't change anything in the WAN section.

The internet status states: "Your ISP's DHCP does not function properly."

Can anyone point me to what other settings I should be changing?

I'm pretty sure it should work as I previously had a Netgear orbi connecting through Ipv6 directly. (the Orbi then broke, hence now trying the Asus one!)

Best Answers
This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3 Answer

Re: DHCP settings for Sky FTTP (ONT) with Asus ZenWifi AX (XT8)?

@autora 

The settings are as follow, the DHCP frequency aggressive mode should really be set to normal...

Screenshot 2021-09-26 at 15.46.21.pngScreenshot 2021-09-26 at 15.47.04.png

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@autora 

The Asus ZenWifi XT8 support DHCP Option 61 and this should be used in addition to DHCPv6 PD for connecting to Sky per their recommendation. The Asus router is known to work correctly with both these protocols for authenticating to Sky. If you need a screenshot or two I'll post these in a few minutes if needed?

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3 Answer

@autora 

The settings are as follow, the DHCP frequency aggressive mode should really be set to normal...

Screenshot 2021-09-26 at 15.46.21.pngScreenshot 2021-09-26 at 15.47.04.png

-------

autora
Topic Author

Thanks @mae-3 - the problem seems to be that my admin settings don't have the option for setting client-identifier (option 61) (see screenshot below.)

Screenshot 2021-09-26 at 18.36.59.png

My firmware is 3.0.0.4.386_25790.

(Also, I thought we wouldn't need to set this if using IPv6 (DHCP-PD) - especially as I got this working without on the Orbi)

Cheers,

- Nick

@autora 

The firmware is out of date and needs upgrading, do you have 1 Asus unit or 2 in a mesh as that will be the deciding factor in picking the upgraded firmware, eg: the latest for 1 unit and a previous release which I will provide the version on confirming how many units configured in the setup?

-------

autora
Topic Author

you are a life saver @mae-3 - I have 2 in a mesh.

@autora 

Release 3.0.0.4.386.42095 for wireless mesh stability:-

https://www.asus.com/Networking-IoT-Servers/Whole-Home-Mesh-WiFi-System/ZenWiFi-WiFi-Systems/ASUS-Ze... 

-------

@autora 

With the link in the previous post you the release you want is the second down the list and you need to reveal the list by expanding the firmware releases, eg: the top one displayed isn't the one you want for the mesh it's the previous release further down the list from that URL provided. And you will need to manually apply the firmware upgrade.

-------

autora
Topic Author

That's awesome @mae-3 thanks.

I am now up and running with the Asus ZenWifi connected directly the the ONT.

Question: When I was connecting my computer through ethernet to the sky SR203 router I was getting more than 400 Mbps reliably. Now when I connect my computer through ethernet to the Asus ZenWifi I am only hitting 90Mbps. Any idea if there are settings I can change here to improve this or why there would be a speed degradation?

@autora 

Have you allowed the wireless mesh to settle for about 2-4 hours? It does sound to me that it isn't utilizing the 5Ghz wireless band, so changing channels manually may be worth trying?

-------

autora
Topic Author

I will let it all settle - but it's not the wifi speed i'm concerned about - when I connect to the router via ethernet cable I am only getting 90mbps whereas I know I was regularly getting over 400mpbs when hardwired to the sr203!

@autora 

That sounds like you have a slightly dodgy cable between the Asus WAN port and the ONT, so change that just to confirm it's okay, eg: it's only operating at 100Mbps instead of 1Gbps?

-------

autora
Topic Author

hmmm possibly something like that - but all same cables used for both scenarios. the only change was the zenwifi for the sr203.

@autora 

I would try reseating the ethernet cables in the ethernet sockets, eg: sometimes they don't quite connect correctly and that can give that symptom. You should be able to see that in the diagnostics in the Asus and will let you know where for speed of the ethernet port(s) if you need that information to confirm its that at fault?

-------

This message was authored by RichTheNewbie This message was authored by: RichTheNewbie

Hi mae-3

If you have a spare moment could you please reassure me with regards the usage of these XT8's as a replacement for the Sky Modem/Router.

Basically, I've got Sky (TV) at the moment, with Virgin gigabit broadband (in modem mode using the XT8's in a mesh), but I'm considering dumping Virgin and adding the Sky FTTP into my package.

If I've understood your posts correctly,it looks like it's possible to essentially do a similar thing, but with Sky you ditch the Sky modem/router completely , and use the XT8 as the modem+router.

Is this correct and possible? (and the best option speed wise)

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion