Discussion topic: Constant packet loss and high ping

This message was authored by Deanp19 This message was authored by: Deanp19

Constant packet loss and high ping

Issue in title. Whatever I play and sometimes when browsing or watching videos I just get slow speed and when playing I get high packet loss and high ping like 70% of the time. Been happening for a couple months and is starting to get really annoying. Tried a couple things. Resetting the router, using different DNS servers, using a range extender (which fixed it for a couple of hours then got worse than it was at first) and trying to reboot and change the settings on the admin. Any help would be appreciated.

All Replies

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

Re: Constant packet loss and high ping

@Deanp19 

There may be a fault on the broadband line for the community to advise please post a copy of the router stats to the forum. A post at the top of the forum explains how to find and post those router stats.

Also, can you post a BQM from Think Broadband for a 24-hour period of the broadband public IPv4 address?

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
Deanp19
Topic Author

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collision Pkts Tx b/s Rx b/s Up Time WAN MER 23332295 59771592 0 162105 3487722 19:33:12 LAN Down 0 0 0 0 0 00:00:00 WLAN (2.4 GHz) Up 16640815 5783245 0 2666 1283 29:12:45 WLAN (5 GHz) Up 43982230 17724810 0 0 181034 29:12:46

Broadband Link Downstream Upstream Connection Speed 76071 kbps 8647 kbps Line Attenuation D1(13.7 dB) , D2(34.9 dB) , D3(54.3 dB) U0(4.3 dB) , U1(26.4 dB) , U2(42.1 dB) Noise Margin 5.3 dB 6.2 dB

the BQM came in at ~70mbps download and ~8mbps upload

@Deanp19

The broadband line is performing well considering its speed and distance from the cabinet, at almost maximum speed downstream of 76Mbps and 8.6Mbps upstream. I put you at about 560-600 metres from the cabinet.

The router stats, don't seem to show an obvious fault on the broadband line in fact it is performing excellently for that distance.

I'll await the BQM to comment on the latency, lag, etc... tomorrow.

Question, do you play games over a wireless connection or ethernet-connected console/PC?

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
Deanp19
Topic Author

I play over WiFi and I'm only a floor above the router and maybe 1-2 metres to the side. I play on Xbox and it happened on PC when I used to play that too.

@Deanp19 

Wireless is a poor choice for playing games. It will lag and you will get packet loss when interference occurs.

Best to run an ethernet cable to the console and PC, and if you cannot do that then try ethernet homeplugs for connecting via the mains circuitry.

-------

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion