Discussion topic: Connecting my telephone to the sky router

This message was authored by DaftVader This message was authored by: DaftVader

Connecting my telephone to the sky router

I am being connected to sky broadband in 5 days but My router is in a very inconvenient place and also in a cupboard. 

I will have to  connect my Dect phone hub to the router to enable the other 3 Dect phones I have in the house.

The problem is that then my main telephone will be stuck in a cupboard , so I lose 1 of my phones as I can't use it there!

Is there a way I can route the signal from the router through a telephone wire to my desk and plug the Dect phone hub in there?

Thanks 

Mike

Best Answers
This message was authored by Eeeps This message was authored by: Eeeps Answer

Re: Connecting my telephone to the sky router

@DaftVader 

Just a thought. What type of broadband connection are you getting - I'd assume it was FTTP.

Obviously if its FTTC or G.Fast then you will need the master socket for that.

In that case you will need to remove the extension wiring from the master socket and connect to that separately. A simple 'chocolate block' will do the trick.

Wiring for the BT plug is in the Wiki Page

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@DaftVader 

It's always possible to source a longer cable for the wired DECT base (typically RJ11 to BT Jack)

Alternatively some DECT systems have a base unit separate to the handsets.

Getting the signal through existing extension cabling is somewhat harder.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
DaftVader
Topic Author

Thanks 

The problem is that Getting a new cable from my office  to the router would be very difficult but I already have a seperat telephone extension there!

I thought I could re-use that if I just Take the output from the router telephone port and splice the relevent wires together or maybe use a connection box.

It's going to cost me a lot of money to buy a new  dect system!

thanks again

Mike

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@DaftVader wrote:

I thought I could re-use that if I just Take the output from the router telephone port and splice the relevent wires together or maybe use a connection box.

You'll want to research Voice Re-Injection (VRI) and note that there's something of a risk of putting current back out onto the PSTN system: in theory Openreach have a master socket faceplate intended to prevent this.

VRI Faceplate.png

VRI Faceplate 1.png

This message was authored by Eeeps This message was authored by: Eeeps

Where is your existing telephone master socket (where the, now unused, PSTN line comes in)?

If it's in your cupboard then its a simple case of disconnecting the two PSTN wires (A and B) from the master socket and connecting the two eqivalent wires (A & B) from the hub in their place.

All your existing extensions will then work as normal.

DaftVader
Topic Author

Thanks for the information! 🙂

Having had a look around The faceplate as you intimated is not available!

I have read that other people have made modifications to their master sockets but none of them look like mine, (Mine is a Mark4 with a 5C backplate)

I would think that the way I would do it would have no chance of Voice reinjection?

Although I could be wrong🙄

I would remove all the extension wiring from the face plate and Put into a new connection box of some sort. So that is completely isolated.

Then connect it to a BT telephone plug that would go into the back of the router.

I can't see a problem but then I am new to this and I'm not sure which wires to use as I have never opened up one of the BT plugs. I perhaps wrongly think  I would just match up by colour.

what do you think?

thanks

Mike

DaftVader
Topic Author

@eeps

Hi I didn't see your post until after I'd answered TimmyBgood.

Is what I'm saying the same as your saying? It sounds like it is but I'm not sure🤔

Thanks

Mike

This message was authored by Eeeps This message was authored by: Eeeps

Yes it's the same thing just the way you go about making the connection. Just make sure you disconnect the incoming PSTN wires first.

There are only two wires for the PSTN connection - A & B.

The third wire, normally known as the ring wire, is created in the master socket and is not normally needed for modern phones (it was there to prevent bell tinkle when old rotary dial phones were used).

Modern phones are even polarity insensitive so you may not need to get the A and B wires the correct way round!

@DaftVader wrote:

Having had a look around The faceplate as you intimated is not available!

I guess it's quite possible that Openreach specified and designed it, and created digital images (complete with their branding) but then decided not to have it mass manufactured when it became apparent that ISPs wouldn't be offering VRI as an installation option to subscribers.

VRI_Faceplates.png

This message was authored by Eeeps This message was authored by: Eeeps Answer

@DaftVader 

Just a thought. What type of broadband connection are you getting - I'd assume it was FTTP.

Obviously if its FTTC or G.Fast then you will need the master socket for that.

In that case you will need to remove the extension wiring from the master socket and connect to that separately. A simple 'chocolate block' will do the trick.

Wiring for the BT plug is in the Wiki Page

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

@Eeeps  When I moved to Sky I had to take the phone from my filtered socket and plug it into the back of the router. This was only for FTTC at the time and moved to ultrafast 150 last year.

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.
DaftVader
Topic Author

it's ctually FTTC so I was always intending to remove to seperate connector. I will only have the one DECT hub connected to that. All other extensions will be disconnected so really it's just like extending the cable by using a copper pair!

Thanks

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion