Discussion topic: Connect Sky router to full fibre line?

This message was authored by Cat1967 This message was authored by: Cat1967

Connect Sky router to full fibre line?

Hi,

Bit of an odd question, but I am currently on a trial where I have a full fibre line (from Talk Talk) coming into my house that I don't yet have to pay for - they said for at least 6 months and probably longer, I don't have to pay.  It's in parallel with my Sky FTTC circuit.

I am wondering - what would happen if I plugged my Sky router into the full fibre line optical converter output?

At the moment I am a full Sky customer - Broadband / Talk / TV incluing 3 separate mini boxes Sky Q.

I am sure it won't work fully but would anything work at all?  I am thinking it will either be:

- Nothing works at all.

- Basic internet works but TV and phone line has problems.

- Everything except the landline phone # works.

Also would I break anything by trying this out?

All Replies

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Re: Connect Sky router to full fibre line?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Cat1967 

It won't work .

sky uses dhcp option 61/ipoe to authenticate with its servers and talk will use pppoe . The authentication strings will be embedded onto their respective routers and aren't interchangeable

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@cookiemonsteruk 

TalkTalk uses DHCP IPoE without the requirement for DHCP Option 61.

@Cat1967 

It won't break the router if you plug it into the TalkTalk system and ONT but it likely won't work.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@mae-3 

I just read up on that "automated authentication without need for username or password" using dhcp/ipoe. That surprised me

Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

@cookiemonsteruk & @Cat1967 

The DHCP IPoE isn't too different from DHCP Option 61 over IPoE and I'm wondering whether the TalkTalk system may just ignore the DHCP Option 61 field and work. 😉

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.

@mae-3 

Thinking exactly the same thing 🤔

@Cat1967 

It would have to be the SR203 Sky Hub for any chance of working and you plug port 4 LAN/WAN into ONT.

-------

This message was authored by simon194 This message was authored by: simon194

@mae-3 wrote:

@Cat1967 

It would have to be the SR203 Sky Hub for any chance of working and you plug port 4 LAN/WAN into ONT.

An ER115 will work.

I used a spare one I had knocking around when my SR203 died and managed to get the full speed on Ultrafast Plus. Just need to set it WANoE and plug port 2 into the ONT. The only caveat is it get a bit hot if there is a lot of downloading going on.

Topic Author

OK - how do I know which Sky router I actually have then?

@Cat1967 

SR102 on the left, Sky Q ER110/ER115 middle and SR203 on the right.

Screenshot 2023-06-29 at 17.47.25.png

-------

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@Cat1967 

The model label on the back/rear of it or look at the link below

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/set-up-hub-which-sky-hub-do-you-have

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
Cat1967
Topic Author

Ok it is SR203

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion