Discussion topic: Confused

This message was authored by mtforshort This message was authored by: mtforshort

Confused

I purchased an item that required a 2.4ghz connection.

I went into my router and unpaired both 2.4ghz and 5ghz and changed their SSID.

On my phone when I search for WiFi networks both appear separately.

I connect the item to the 2.4ghz network.

Being on the 2.4ghz  I can't view my WiFi cameras which use 5ghz. I then have to rejoin the 5ghz network to view my WiFi cameras etc.

As a result the item on the 2.4ghz network loses its connection.

When I went back into router and run both 2.4ghz and 5ghz paired I can run 5ghz but not the 2.4ghz.

It seems daft that I have to separate and constantly switch between both to make the items in my house work.

Why can't I using the one dual band router to operate both with one SSID.?

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: Confused

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@mtforshort most devices do work with a dualband SSID however some cheaper IOT devices have chips that cannot connect to that SSID and require the two bands to be separated but normally that should not prevent devices seeing devices on the other SSID as they share the same network.  However some apps are fussy. Sounds like you have an issue with your specific app.because the Sky set up follows the norma l rules.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Re: Confused

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@mtforshort 

Must say I dont know of many IoT devices that use 5ghz. Are you sure they are? One solution would be to force the 5ghz ones to use 2.4ghz anyway, then you dont have to switch.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion