Discussion topic: Capped bandwidth/download speed

This message was authored by P263BOW This message was authored by: P263BOW

Re: Capped bandwidth/download speed

Sounds like a usual sky trick 

AtH
Topic Author
This message was authored by AtH This message was authored by: AtH

there is nothing draining the bandwith the sky technician that came to my house used a brand new hub with only one device connected to it via ethernet cable and the speed test came back the same. I get 34mbps when the dsl cable is free from the sky hub and tested indenpendantly, as soon as the cable is back in the sky hub my speed drops to a steady 15mbps.

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@AtH 

Can you post the router stats?

-------

Zen internet on FTTP (900Mbps down, 100Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
AtH
Topic Author
This message was authored by AtH This message was authored by: AtH

No point buddy after a month and a half of sky telling me there was no issue and it was me draining my bandwidth rubbish...and after 2 sky and 2 Openreach techs coming out to my property. The last sky tech acknowledged that there was a more widespread issue that had been escalated, In which she confirmed that line tests from sky would show that customers are receiving what they are paying for but there was indeed a more technical issue at customers houses where there hub was only putting out half the mbps.

Now 2-3 weeks after that with no contact or acknowledgment... customers including myself have slowly seen the mbps return to normal.

but from what I am see across this forum customers are still suffering the same issue and yet again sky refuse to actually admit they are aware of the issue and that they are dealing with it! So I am just advising based on my experience.

@AtH 

Without router stats, there is nothing that anyone can do for you on the commnuity forum! 😎

-------

Zen internet on FTTP (900Mbps down, 100Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.

@AtH 

Does this look like the issue isn't being researched and taken seriously by those on the community?

Screenshot 2022-07-06 at 09.53.46.png

-------

This message was authored by Monty+M. This message was authored by: Monty+M.

Just to add to this, I'm a software engineer working from home last two years. I know my data usage even on my 40Mbps LINK SPEED is in the TB range. It's my job.

I got the same "too many devices on your network" talk, even though the 37 devices I manage directly and have had attached for years.

Obviously, I can do self tests to the level of any "home visit" and beyond. Shaping my own traffic, dropping device counts, eliminating WiFi and just using LAN etc. All this shows the same thing, after some "intermittent dropouts" to the line yesterday, I've a 40Mbps LINK SPEED but a solid 10Mbps BANDWIDTH.

It appears the Sky engineers are trained to say that the LINK SPEED meets their minimum promised speed. But would they really get away with for example, having a stable 1000Mbps LINK SPEED but you can only sustain download 40Mbps shared across all devices? No they wouldn't, and neither should we. My 40Mbps LINK and 10Mbps CAP will need fixing or I will be claiming back my monthly payment and considering cancellation using the 3 days below Minimum clause (I have to call it a 10Mbps cap, I've also tested with a group of devices, each pulling a known amount and the sum total matches the router stats and the 10Mbps).

My thinking is the cabinet is correctly making the LINKs but he traffic from that cabinet is shaped by someone. My strong suspicion is Openreach. These cabinets will have a maximum input bandwidth that will then be shared to all subscribers. While Sky or other ISPs renting that bandwidth may not be applying a shaping policy, Openreach will need to - especially if they've started adding some Full Fibre connections to the home serviced by the cabinet.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion