Discussion topic: Can I use my old hub with fibre - Half complete fibre installation

This message was authored by Mycle This message was authored by: Mycle

Can I use my old hub with fibre - Half complete fibre installation

Hi - I've had a somewhat troublesome process of getting my broadband upgraded to fibre.  Finally today Openreach came and installed the Optical Network Terminal.

I have an existing Sky Q hub, but have not been sent any new equipment by Sky.  Teh Openreach engineer said that the existing hub might not work with the ONT, so he plugged it back into the old phone point, tested it was still working and left, advising us to call Sky.  A couple of hours later, the broadband stopped working.  I can't get any answer from Sky despite waiting on hold for nearly an hour.

Can anyone help with what I can do in the short term?  How can I get a new hub from Sky?  Can I use my old hub with the ONT?  I'm pretty technical and happy to set up equipment myself if I knew what I needed.

Best Answers
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee Answer

Re: Can I use my old hub with fibre - Half complete fibre installation

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Mycle if you already have the Sky Broadband hub model number SR203 you have the right hub just connect an ethernet cable from the ONT to port 4 on the hub. If you have an older ER110 or ER115 it might work connected in thecsame way but you need to talk to Sky to get the SR203csent out as you will need thst for the phone service.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee Answer

@Mycle if you already have the Sky Broadband hub model number SR203 you have the right hub just connect an ethernet cable from the ONT to port 4 on the hub. If you have an older ER110 or ER115 it might work connected in thecsame way but you need to talk to Sky to get the SR203csent out as you will need thst for the phone service.

65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@Mycle 

Your sky q should work with the ethernet plugged from the ont to lan port 2 on the sky q hub however it doesn't have a telephone port

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
Mycle
Topic Author

Thanks - I have an old ER11* model, so that doesn't sound optimistic.

Is there a way I can get sky to send me a broadband hub without waiting on the phone forever?

Mycle
Topic Author

Thank you!  I will try it out and mark as answered if it works.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Mycle I have escalated your post tona team whobsupport the forum who will invite you onto an online chat through the forum where a chat icon will appear. Sky are having phone issues today so hopefully they can helpmyou.

Mycle
Topic Author

@Chrisee Thank you!

A bit ironic that Sky are having phone issues 😉

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Mycle issues happen especially in highly complex set up like Sky's that routes hundreds of thousand calls daily to literally thousands of agents

Mycle
Topic Author

Thank you @Chrisee and @cookiemonsteruk   Using the old router has worked so I'm up and running for now. Once I can get through to Sky I'll ask them to send me a broadband hub too. 

thank you!

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion