Discussion topic: Can I return the sky router and use an Asus AiMesh AX6100 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 6 Router instead?

old+Sheldon
Topic Author
This message was authored by old+Sheldon This message was authored by: old+Sheldon

Re: Can I return the sky router and use an Asus AiMesh AX6100 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 6 Router instead?

Thank you @cookiemonsteruk , I have returned the tplink. 

I will now look to find what you originally recommended. This wifi is inconsistent.

old+Sheldon
Topic Author
This message was authored by old+Sheldon This message was authored by: old+Sheldon

Re: Can I return the sky router and use an Asus AiMesh AX6100 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 6 Router instead?

@cookiemonsteruk , Thanks for baring with me while I am trying to sort out my internet.

I am hoping this will solve my issues. Would the Asus DSL-AC88U be a good replacement for my sky hub?

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@old+Sheldon 

Yup. From memory that is the only g.fast modem router currently on the market. Only thing is i don't know if it can be put in bridge mode to allow the asus ax to function as a full router . Maybe a question to raise with asus uk themselves

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@old+Sheldon 

Apologies tp link ax. 

Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

old+Sheldon
Topic Author

@cookiemonsteruk 

Just on it's own, would the Asus dsl ac88u work as a replacement for my sky hub router?

@old+Sheldon wrote:

@cookiemonsteruk 

Just on it's own, would the Asus dsl ac88u work as a replacement for my sky hub router?

Yes.  Asus own website describes it as a dsl and g.fast modem router

old+Sheldon
Topic Author

Thank you @cookiemonsteruk , you have been very helpful. I will get one this weekend. 

@old+Sheldon 

Your are more than welcome . Any issues get back to us. But the asus dsl g.fast should have default isp profiles built in 🤞👌👍

old+Sheldon
Topic Author

@cookiemonsteruk  I ended up buying 2 different modems knowing i can always sell one if not needed and having decided to invest in the wifi now, i bought the asus rog gt ax11000.

I got the MT992 openreach modem and a tplink tdw9970. The tplink will not recognise the internet when I do the setup as a modem router, it accepts the sky mer vdsl option but when it tests, it says there is no connection. Internet light flashes in a sequence up to eight times. 

So i plugged in the openreach modem and all lights come on but when i tried to feed it through to the tplink router, it didnt recognise the connection. I havent opened the asus yet in case i am totally up the creek and have to return it. What should i do?

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@old+Sheldon 

How are you setting up the TP-Link modem? Can you provide some screenshots

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
old+Sheldon
Topic Author

@jamesn123 I selected Sky MER vdsl then it went onto the username and password for accessing sky internet but it didnt find the connection. The internet light was flashing on the tplink tdw9970.

@old+Sheldon 

You should be putting it in bridge mode not connecting to the line with the TP-Link modem.

Should look like something below.

2021-12-01 15_22_20-TD-W9970.png

I am NOT a Sky Employee
old+Sheldon
Topic Author

@jamesn123 But my worry is that it doesnt detect the internet when setting it up the other way so when i have put it in bridge mode, the router won't see the internet. I really dont know the username and password anyway but I will try again this afternoonwith the setup.

@old+Sheldon 

For starters there is no username & password with Sky fibre, its done via a DHCP Option 61 string which is why it isnt working for you at the moment.

Secondly I just re-read your entire thread and realised you are on G.Fast, this requires a G.Fast modem, the TP-Link WD9970 isnt a Gfast modem.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
old+Sheldon
Topic Author

@jamesn123 So I just plug in the openreach MT992 modem and setuop the asus gt ax11000 as the router? with DHCP 61 option?

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion