Discussion topic: Broadband packet loss/loss of Internet but connection remains up (mostly)

shrewdLogarithm
Topic Author
This message was authored by shrewdLogarithm This message was authored by: shrewdLogarithm

Re: Broadband packet loss/loss of Internet but connection remains up (mostly)

Going back to the retransmission speed test (about 4 posts back) I noticed my connection getting a bit shaky late last night and so I re-ran that test.

With nothing else running, retransmission had increased to around 10%

When I started a download using about half of my bandwidth, that number leapt-up to 25%!!!!

Not sure what that means yet - I'd expect some increase as the connectionget busier but that seems exteme

I repeated the download test today (no signs of slowdown or dropped packets) and it's not as high - more research required here perhaps...

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@shrewdLogarithm 

If I were you i'd focus my attention on getting switched to FTTP. Trying to diagnose the issue can become a headache very quickly and within a few years you'll likely be forced onto FTTP anyway 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
shrewdLogarithm
Topic Author
This message was authored by shrewdLogarithm This message was authored by: shrewdLogarithm

Focussing on FTTP means leaving Sky altogether - they say 150 is the best they have in our area - which is weird as the BT engineer says the pole is only 20% occupied and 2 neighbours already have 900 (from BT)

I've been with BT before and it's not something I relish - that and the fact we'd been keeping Q (as the other half likes it) and I foresee being ping-ponged between Sky and BT for every issue (as Internet-based TV is clearly the future at this point)

Hmmmm,

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

@shrewdLogarithmCould you fill out the form below and post a screenshot hiding the private information in the top-left corner please.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome 

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.
shrewdLogarithm
Topic Author

bbdata.png

I think that's what you needed?

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

@shrewdLogarithmYou should have no issue in getting higher speeds from Sky. But it did take awhile after I got my ultrafast 1 for to see the higher speeds available to me.

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.
shrewdLogarithm
Topic Author

It's not speed I'm lacking per-se (I get all 150 of the 150 I pay for) - it's that they won't upgrade me from SOGFAST/G.Fast (150) to FTTP despite that being available and preferred by BT for my area.

My guess is - and this might also explain my issues - that they lack capacity on their network to offer faster speeds in my area or that they are just prioritizing that for people who are still on "phone line" contracts (which cost them more to maintain)

I'm going to talk to them again this week - I've double-checked and I'm LONG out of contract on Broadband so it might be I just have to jump-ship entirely but I'll double-check before I do - esp as my partner wants to keep the TV part for the foreseeable (BT's offering doesn't suit her so much)

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion