Discussion topic: Broadband keeps dropping (like so many others it seems)

This message was authored by aks10 This message was authored by: aks10

Broadband keeps dropping (like so many others it seems)

I have had intermittent broadband since December, but recently it has been really bad.

I reported this earlier this week, the agent identified a "problem on the line", and today I received a message that said "We've looked in to your issue and it looks like it is now fixed". No it isn't fixed, it's worse than ever today!

I keep logs (syslogs) from the Sky router.

I have a wired PC to the router, as the first port of call when I experience problems. I will normally reconfigure DNS if I get problems, just to rule that out - there were previously DNS issues.

The up and down nature tonight is shown in these images:

sky checker 2024-01-26 2044.PNG2024-01-26 2026.PNGsky line 2024-01-26 2020.PNG

Latest stats taken 1 min ago: seems fine, but it's only staying up for moments, then dropping again!

sky checker 2024-01-26 2057.PNG

Of course, to complete the checker you need to be connected, so then the test passes and you are back to square one. Checking the line from a mobile - using the Sky app, and mobile data, doesn't seem to check my broadband line at all (it appears to confirm my mobile internet connection is working great - which it is, thankfully, as I use it to hotspot just to get online).

I will attempt to call Sky again, but happy to try to resolve the issue via escalation through these forums if I can.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or escalation help, would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Tony

All Replies

This message was authored by JimM1 This message was authored by: JimM1

Re: Broadband keeps dropping (like so many others it seems)

@aks10 

After an engineer visit or remote fix if remote, it will take 24hrs before the system

at sky will be correct, and any speed test's will not be any good.

If you are past this 24hr period then it should have settled.

Can you also confirm if you are on the G.Fast copper broadband package at 150MB speed.

aks10
Topic Author

Yes I'm on G.Fast, normally I get >150Mbps on a speedchecker, and line stats report raw line connection at ~158Mbps down.

I'm less concerned with the actual speed today, but I am experiencing intermittent connection issues - website not loading, i.e. bbc.co.uk, google.co.uk, sky.com!

The router logs indicate hundreds of line speed changes in short succession, with intermittent full line drops.

@aks10 

When did sky, or openreach arrange the fix date, etc if you could explain the time scale

would be a good idea, from my previous OR reset, it took 24hrs before the system settled

and began to operate, on FTTC but 40/10 split.

aks10
Topic Author

I initially reported the issue to a Sky agent on the phone Wednesday afternoon. He confirmed a copper line fault "near to my property" and that he'd raise it to the network team, who in turn would raise it to BT Openreach. Today I received the txt message mentioned above, which sounded more like, we had a brief look at the line checker and it's not reporting any issues. But I am very much experiencing connection failures.

The line stats are indeed up and down like a yo-yo today, so that might be what you are mentioning?

Why would it become so unstable after a BTO 'reset'?

@aks10 

Sounds like the info you had was not good, although OR can check remotely and also sky can do this,

If you are having disconnects then you should have had a visit by OR or Sky.

The master socket you should have will have G.Fast type printed on it, and you will also have the SR204

router. Surprised but if you are still having issues, on the test were you see the ! for line speed, click on this and it will show you the line quality for the past 14 day's, Sky monitor this and ideally you will see the 

150MB speed, if there was a DLM reset which sky/OR can do it does take time to settle but does sound

like your issue was not corrected.

When you see the disconnect does the router indicate this by LED change if you are looking at it.

aks10
Topic Author

Thanks @JimM1 , yes the router led's for internet and voice go orange, when the line is back up they of course go green.

The guy I talked to said an OR visit was necessary to investigate/fix the issue. I'll see what it's doing tomorrow and call them again if necessary to find out what's actually going on. When I called Wednesday, he said the history showed the problems, and a detailed line check identified an issue on the line, but it appears to me as an intermittent issue, and often quickly resolves itself, i.e. 20-60 seconds it's working again, albeit at random speeds, but sufficient not to really notice. Unfortunately, the interruptions are frustrating, especially if the family are streaming a program.

@aks10 

Do the line check again, were you see the speed to your hub and says good, click on the ! and then record

the history, with a screen capture hopefully it will show you the past history.

OR should visit, and may replace the Master socket, or check the line connection.

Intermitent faults do take time to get sorted. I suffered for over a 6 months before mine got fixed. 

aks10
Topic Author

I just went to the status/checker page again:

sky linecheck01.PNG

sky linecheck02.PNG

Not sure why the text in this image says "last checked at 01:34", because I literally just did it and also want and checked the file date on the one I uploaded.

Anyway, the checker still reports a problem, but after running "let's fix it" the end result says it's fine. However, the checker still reports falty line when I revisit, so something confusing me here!

aks10
Topic Author

BT installed a new G.fast master socket when I upgraded about a year ago, and it's been solid most of the time. I *think* it goes unreliable when it rains a lot, but that's probably just me joining dots that I shouldn't :)!

The average line speed indicates a problems a few days ago, and today, but it's an average speed - no measure of consistent quality (or line drops), which I assume Sky themselves can see.

aks10_0-1706308814352.png

@aks10 

That is probably the time, when sky monitored your line, they do it every 24hrs and take the snap shot

of how good your line is

aks10
Topic Author

Thanks @JimM1 , let's see if I can get an escalation here, or I'll have to call again.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@aks10 your speeds are set by the G.Fast pod and the copper line from there to your home. Loss of speed in wet weather implies a poor joint in the line as copper, high frequency electrical signals and water dont mix well.. Sky's checks the system at regular intervals which gives the results you see which are not taken from your manual line tests. If line drops continue report the issue to Sky but explain the fault appears not to have been sorted.

However with G.Fast there are known compatability issues with some powerline networking kit (adapters thst send data via mains wiring) so if you have any of those units in your home especially if an adapter is close to the hub unplug it and see if stability improves. This weekend the forum escalation route is not fully available due to staff shortage.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
aks10
Topic Author

Thanks @Chrisee , no powerline adapters are used here.

I did mention on the call to the agent that the issue appears when we have very wet weather, but he didn't think the wet would have any impact. Having said that, he did say there was a line fault that he could see at their end, so hopefully I can get this looked at properly.

@any mods/super users: Any chance of escalation here?

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Sorry @aks10 this weekend we are asked not to escalate due to staff shortage

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion