Discussion topic: Broadband been down 2 weeks

This message was authored by Sarah1234678 This message was authored by: Sarah1234678

Broadband been down 2 weeks

My broadband has been down for 2 weeks and sky just keep saying there is an outage on open reach and we have to wait for them to fix this. 

Has anyone been able to contact Openreach about something similar? I've called sky many times but after 3+ hours on the phone to the sky advisers they say they can't speak to openreach and  it will usually be fixed in 2 days. 

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Broadband been down 2 weeks

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Sarah1234678 

Unfortunately the system is set up so that subscribers talk to their ISP, and the ISP get updates when Openreach see fit to tell them anything.

Have you been given any indication of where the fault is located and if it's affecting just your property or multiple addresses?

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Sarah1234678 unfortunately Openreach only communicate with their customer who is Sky not with the end user.  2 weeks is a.long period for loss of conection but unfortunately can happen where some paticular work is required such as digging up a road or replacing a line thst runs over private land. 

ISky should know and give you the date for the next Openreach update on your issue you should call Sky after each of these but apart from that there is not much more you can do. You will be due compensation which is payable after the fault is fixed see Customer Auto-Compensation | Sky Help | Sky.com

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Sarah1234678
Topic Author
This message was authored by Sarah1234678 This message was authored by: Sarah1234678

That has been my biggest issue - apparently sky can't talk to Openreach to get a specific update on my fault and I've not seen any engineers at the boxes or any distruption like road works in the area. 

Sky say it's my area but I don't know any neighbours using sky so cannot confirm. I'm worried there is another issue that no one is looking at but running out of ways to ask as the sky advisers just say there is nothing they can do 

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Sarah1234678 if its an area wide Openreach issue it will affect all ISPs using their network not just Sky customers. Local news often picks up on these issues. A few months ago a digger broke a main fibre link serving 30,000 lines near me. Most people got their services back in a few days but some were without a connection for over 2 weeks. Made the local paper and radio news. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Sarah1234678
Topic Author

Sorry for a follow up question but I plugged my landline in yesterday and I can still make calls. Can it still be an Openreach issue if the phone line is working?

Any tips on what I can try next?? 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Sarah1234678 wrote:

Can it still be an Openreach issue if the phone line is working?

Yes, unless you are on Internet Calls (where voice travels over a data connection).  On PSTN the voice traffic is separated from data upstream, and it's quite possible for the line to function but still have no internet access: this could suggest exchange equipment failure, with repair requiring replacement hardware there.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion