Discussion topic: Best way to set up a AX73 with Sky Hub

This message was authored by Davie153 This message was authored by: Davie153

Best way to set up a AX73 with Sky Hub

Evening all, I have recently joined Sky from Virgin, my area currently doesn't have FTTP so will have to do with FTTC in the mean time.

My house has pretty thick brick walls, so the Sky Hub doesn't really reach parts of the house.  My current set up is a TP link AX73 connected to the virgin media router that is in modem mode and a WiFi range extender. I haven't had any problems with this set up, so would like to do the same with the Sky Hub.

Looking at other posts, I have learned that the Hub cannot be placed in modem mode. But the WiFi could be disabled. 

What settings do I need to use to get the best out of the WiFi?

Here is the setup that I can hopefully use. 

Sky Hub:

Lan1 AX73

Lan2 One power line connected to Sky Stream and CCTV NVR elsewhere.

Lan3 Laptop

Lan4 PS5

I have a TPLink WiFi range extender then normal stuff like Firesticks, Phones, TV and Nest. 

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you. 

Best Answers
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee Answer

Re: Best way to set up a AX73 with Sky Hub

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Davie153 that should work as all 4 ethernet ports om the SR203 Broadband Hub are LAN ports when in FT`tC mode - you losecone in FTTP mode . It is similar to how I use my own Sky hub where wifi is down to a TP-Link Deco system. Your TP-Link router should be set up as an Access Point, which is explained in the unit's manual, so routing duties remain with the Sky hub.  That is sensible if you want to access devices connected to the ethernet ports on the Sky hub.

Alternatively you can leave the TP-Link in router mode which means your wifi devices would be on a different network from the wired devices as you would have a set-up with a double NAT. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee Answer

Re: Best way to set up a AX73 with Sky Hub

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Davie153 that should work as all 4 ethernet ports om the SR203 Broadband Hub are LAN ports when in FT`tC mode - you losecone in FTTP mode . It is similar to how I use my own Sky hub where wifi is down to a TP-Link Deco system. Your TP-Link router should be set up as an Access Point, which is explained in the unit's manual, so routing duties remain with the Sky hub.  That is sensible if you want to access devices connected to the ethernet ports on the Sky hub.

Alternatively you can leave the TP-Link in router mode which means your wifi devices would be on a different network from the wired devices as you would have a set-up with a double NAT. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion