Discussion topic: Being told that slow broadband issue is with Openreach rather than Sky, 6mb download on superfast?

This message was authored by AFGrant23 This message was authored by: AFGrant23

Being told that slow broadband issue is with Openreach rather than Sky, 6mb download on superfast?

Hi folks,

Have had supefast broadband for around 18 months, never been impressed, but usually ok when it comes to working and general browsing.

Downloading anything on Sky, however, seems to be ridiculously slow. I've also just upgraded to the UHD package, so i'm concerned that streaming / downloading anything in UHD is going to be difficult. I actually cancelled my broadband yesterday, as I was hoping to get faster speeds elsewhere. The person on the cancellation line, actually told me that the issue was with Openreach, and unless I went with Virgin (Not available in my area) I wouldn't get faster speeds with any other provider, on any other package. 

Does the above sound right? And if so, am I better off getting the cheapest broadband deal possible, as 6mb (roughly) is the max I will get anyway?

Thanks in advance, any help would be appreciated! 

Screenshot 2022-11-17 at 09.37.43.png

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Being told that slow broadband issue is with Openreach rather than Sky, 6mb download on superfas

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@AFGrant23 

There's clearly a problem somewhere because your outbound speed is higher than inbound, and that should never be the case with FTTC*. To resolve such issues the customer logs a fault with their ISP, and the ISP then books Openreach to investigate.

*Working FTTC is asymmetric about 4:1 inbound: outbound 

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Re: Being told that slow broadband issue is with Openreach rather than Sky, 6mb download on superfas

@AFGrant23 

If sky say there is an issue with openreach did they not book an engineer for you?

Can you run tests from you my sky app and post the info in "more about your connection"

And enter your full postal address below and post the table after removing your address from the image

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
AFGrant23
Topic Author

Thanks for taking a look @cookiemonsteruk.

No engineer booked, advised that there was nothing that a Sky engineer could help with, purely an Openreach issue. Definitely doesn't stack up.. screenshot below if that helps?

Thanks again.

Screenshot 2022-11-17 at 10.44.29.png

AFGrant23
Topic Author

Thanks @TimmyBGood, that makes sense.

The guy on the phone never mentioned booking an Openreach engineer to investigate, just that someone from Sky wouldn't be able to make a difference!

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@AFGrant23 

With a line that appears to be able to handle 75Mbps they should be contacting openreach to send an engineer not their own engineers. What exactly did they say was the issue. You need to contact sky again or we can escalate

Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

AFGrant23
Topic Author

@cookiemonsteruk 

No mention of them being able to request an Openreach engineer, although this was when talking to the cancelation team for broadband, not sure if their "tech support" team would have made that suggestion?

Very vague on the actual issue, just stating that the Openreach "setup/network" in my are would not be able to support download speeds any higher than a range of 4mbps-7mbps.

I think i'm hearing that a call into the "tech" team is probably warranted, to maybe get a fix before potentially renewing? If the issue can be fixed that is..

Thanks agan.

@AFGrant23 

To save you the hassle of contacting sky I've escalated your post via the community chat. This link explains how it works

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Did-you-know/Escalating-a-post-to-a-Sky-expert/ba-p/3711147#M1014

Keep logged on to the forum using a chrome browser

Keep an eye out for an invite or blue chat bubble. When the blue bubble does appear you have 48 hours to respond or it will be automatically closed.

This message was authored by Addie15 This message was authored by: Addie15

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi there, I have escalated your post to our Community Messaging team who will invite you to a private chat shortly and help you with this.  

Just look out for the blue bubble to start the conversation.

Here's more information on how Community Messaging works - https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Did-you-know/Escalating-a-post-to-a-Sky-expert/ba-p/3711147 

@Addie15 

Beat ya to it 😁👍

AFGrant23
Topic Author

Thanks @cookiemonsteruk, that's very helpful, appreciate your advice / comments 🙂

AFGrant23
Topic Author

Thanks @Addie15 :)!

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@AFGrant23 

Wow the Sky agent you spoke to must have not even looked at your routers line stats, thats one of the worst faults I've seen for a while how did they not pick that up?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
This message was authored by Addie15 This message was authored by: Addie15

Posted by a Sky employee

Update-We have booked an engineer for AFGrant23's problem to be fully resolved, we consider this closed on our end. If there is anything else we can help with, please do not hesitate to reach out. Thanks.

AFGrant23
Topic Author

I'm not sure if that's reassuring or not 😂 at least I've got a bit of weight behind my concern now!

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion