Discussion topic: BT open reach for my area

This message was authored by TimPalarm This message was authored by: TimPalarm

BT open reach for my area

I have lived in my area for over 3 years, which is a stone throw away from the town centre. Is there anything that I can do to accelerate BT open reach to start laying cables in my area, which is far from rural. I am frequently frustrated as my bandwidth is lousy by today's standards. I have just done a speedtest and it is 3.43 Mbps. Sky keep telling me that what I am getting is good considering the IT infrastructure, but my own experiences are that this is far from good. Any help would be gratefully received. I have even contacted a company called Lit Fibre and am on their waiting list too!! Anyone with any influential contacts in BT Open Reach? With kind regards

All Replies

This message was authored by TomThumb5ive This message was authored by: TomThumb5ive

Re: BT open reach for my area

@TimPalarm  Openreach do publish a general rollout plan of Full Fiber at

https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/where-when-building-ultrafast-full-fibre-broadband

(so any provider who uses the openreach network will have there order book open after completion)

If by chance your postcode isn't on any future build plan of openreach at the moment, 

local AltNet fiber will be your best bet, unless there is widespread support from the local community.

info at 

https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/fibre-community-partnership

Tom...

Sky want us to believe in better
BELIEVE =accept that (something) is true, especially without proof.
BETTER = of a higher standard, or more suitable, pleasing, or effective than other things or people:

Sky Q & 2 mini’s
SR203 router. > Replaced with ASUS XT9’s with a TP-Link TD-W9970 modem
Sky superfast 80/20 :sort of, 63-75/15. Devolo 1200 wifi > Replaced with cat 6
Sony KDAF8 65 oled.
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@TimPalarm if you enter your full address in the following checker and post the result after removing the reference to your address forum members can advise on current options as 3.4Mb/s is below the current minimum of the Universal Service Obligation of 10Mb/s.

DSL Checker

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
TimPalarm
Topic Author

Thank you Tom and I have registered my interest with as many of the AltNet fiber providers that I can. Fingers crossed that one will get back to me with something positive. KR

TimPalarm
Topic Author

Thank you Chrisee and here is the result, which is not as low as the speed test that I did!! Where do I go from here? With kind regards

TimPalarm_1-1704035010055.png

TimPalarm
Topic Author

The sky app says that our download speed is 19.5 Mb/s and an independent test says 6.36. I would love to run a defacto independent test to contradict the data that Sky provide!!:

TimPalarm_0-1704035497655.png

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Hi @TimPalarm 

You may be surprised to know that actually Openreach often take longer to lay fibre cables in populated areas because it takes a lot more planning & causes a lot more disruption than in a rural setting due to many cables being underground Openreach must get permission from various land owners & the council especially if temp road works are required. 

Regarding your speed, the two tests you are using are measuring two different things hence the discrepancy. 

The Sky test shows you the line speed between your exchange & the hub, the speedtest on your mobile shows you the actual speed reaching your phone over WiFi which can be significantly lower due to WiFi interference. Are you able to run a test via ethernet to check your true speed?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@TimPalarm the result from the database is very unusual in that none of the various partial fibre solutions are available. Given you say your live quite close to a town and that the ADSL speeds are well over 10Mb/s implies you have something called an exchange line. These lines do not use the normal green street cabinets that most lines connect through but for historic reasons run directly to the local exchange this means the technology used to deliver Superfast services cannot be used as the VDSL equipment that uses cannot be installed in exchanges due to potential interference. Many exchange lines have been converted by installing cabinets outside the exchange building but if I am right your's for some reason hasn't.

Until Openreach get round to your area your options are unfortunately limited unless either Virgin Media or one of the.many so called Altnet companies lay fibre near you. Altnets include companies  like City Fibre who are expanding rapidly but Sky only use Openreach lines. 

Oddly your local county or unitary authority may know more as they have access to funds to improve connectivity which is mainly used in rural areas but assuming your neighbours are in a similar position your local councillor maybe able to find out what is going on.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
TimPalarm
Topic Author

Thank you for your comprehensive reply, which I really appreciate. Your detailed response has provided me with the technical explanation that I needed to E-mail to my local counsellor. Without this information my E-mail would not have been nearly as comprehensive. Have a great day and thank you again. With kind regards

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion