Discussion topic: BT not informed I was switching, overcharged

This message was authored by LauraW1991 This message was authored by: LauraW1991

BT not informed I was switching, overcharged

Hello. 

I changed broadband providers from BT to Sky in March this year. I assumed the switch was successful however I noticed this month that BT have still been charging me as they were not told by Sky that I was switching provider. 

Sky have said that this is because my broadband was processed as a 'new line' rather than a transfer. At no point did I request a new line. I answered 'no' to the question of whether I wanted a to keep my existing phone number, as I wasn't bothered about this (we don't use our landline). I did think it was strange that an engineer had to visit and that on my first bill it showed £20 (discounted to £0) for a new line install. But I just assumed this was part of the process. 

So I've now paid £350 too much to BT, but Sky say it's my fault. Does anyone have any ideas why this was processed as a new line and whether it really is my fault? 

thanks

All Replies

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

Re: BT not informed I was switching, overcharged

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

I think the more important thing here is getting BT to refund you what they have still being billing you so have you spoken to them about this as it seems pretty pointless now questioning how this has happened as it is unlikely you will be unable ti get to the bottom of whose fault it is.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
LauraW1991
Topic Author
This message was authored by LauraW1991 This message was authored by: LauraW1991

Re: BT not informed I was switching, overcharged

Sorry, I should have said that I've spoken to BT twice who have said they absolutely weren't informed by Sky that I was switching and therefore cannot refund me. As far as they were concerned, my broadband was still active until I asked them to cancel it last week. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion