Discussion topic: BT Openreach Connection

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: BT Openreach Connection

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@keithrev if it worked why not just re-instate it? Sky dont support that kind of lash-up though probably because their diagnostics wont work they need to talk to the hub's modem stage you are by-passing. The Huawei unit is a museum piece and has not had a firmware upgrade for a good few years but unless someone knows better should not mean any huge security holes.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
keithrev
Topic Author
This message was authored by keithrev This message was authored by: keithrev

Thanks all. I just tried it and all works fine. My Huawei is back in action and my Sky SR203 router is in a better place on the middle floor connected via Ethernet in to Wan port 4. I will see how this set up goes. 

This message was authored by Eeeps This message was authored by: Eeeps

Good to hear.

Also, if you ever get the option to go to FTTP you can have the ONT placed where your existing Huawei is and just simply plug the Ethernet cable into the ONT.

keithrev
Topic Author
This message was authored by keithrev This message was authored by: keithrev

Thanks @Eeeps I was thinking the same. Unfortunately no dates for FTTP for us yet but bizarrely they are building 700 new houses next to us and I think recent legislation says they must have FTTP supplied rather than FTTC.  Getting FTTP would be a small sweetener to them ripping green belt up.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@keithrev wrote:

I think recent legislation says they must have FTTP supplied rather than FTTC.

Not 'legislation' as such: it just doesn't make sense for a developer (and Openreach) to put copper infrastructure into new-build sites if there's any availability of backbone optical connection.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion