Discussion topic: A week with Sky and having intermittent issues and very slow speeds!!

This message was authored by catterbury This message was authored by: catterbury

A week with Sky and having intermittent issues and very slow speeds!!

Hi, it's a week exactly today since I switched from BT to Sky Superfast Broadband where my usual speeds used to be around 50-55mbps. 

Since the switch however, I'm sometimes only getting up to 10mbps, maybe other occassions up to 20mbps. My work laptop seems the worst off where it was barely getting 1mbps. This was until I split the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands where it's on par with other devices now - but still slow!

As I work from home and rely on my internet to connect to work's remote desktop via vpn, they are getting increasingly annoyed at the issues I'm having and asking me to sort it out.

Other than slow speeds, I've had to turn off WiFi on mobile devices because nothing would load. Then re-connect a few minutes or more later.

I have the Sky Broadband router which should be on par with BT's latest hub or so I'm told so can't understand why I'm now having issues, where 4 years with BT I didn't have any. If it wasn't for the fact of now having TV from Sky, I'd cancel the contract and go back - but I don't want to lose the TV.

Any advice? Nothing else has changed, apart from router! So theoretically it should work just the same as before no!?

Thanks

Stats - 

System Up Time: 119:59:52

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collision Pkts Tx b/s Rx b/s Up Time WAN MER 167989519 286534663 0 0 0 104:29:11 LAN Up 51515740 23444081 0 0 1 119:59:53 WLAN (2.4 GHz) Up 44235875 26970892 0 2 1 119:36:09 WLAN (5 GHz) Up 120068088 83535940 0 2 2 119:35:08

Broadband Link Downstream Upstream Connection Speed 59868 kbps 8390 kbps Line Attenuation D1(16.3 dB) , D2(40.2 dB) , D3(59.8 dB) U0(5.3 dB) , U1(31.1 dB) , U2(46.2 dB) Noise Margin 4.0 dB 6.2 dB

All Replies

catterbury
Topic Author
This message was authored by catterbury This message was authored by: catterbury

Re: A week with Sky and having intermittent issues and very slow speeds!!

router stats.PNG

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@catterburyCan see one drop of the WAN connection, what does the broadband test say when you run it?

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.
catterbury
Topic Author

Everything comes back as normal on the tests. However, I notice Sky's tests don't include from the router to devices which the BT one used to. 

I hate comparing as sometimes hindsight is a great thing - however when it comes to issues I can't not help but compare.

This message was authored by TechmanagerMal This message was authored by: TechmanagerMal

@catterbury wrote:

Hi, it's a week exactly today since I switched from BT to Sky Superfast Broadband where my usual speeds used to be around 50-55mbps. 

Since the switch however, I'm sometimes only getting up to 10mbps, maybe other occassions up to 20mbps. My work laptop seems the worst off where it was barely getting 1mbps. This was until I split the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands where it's on par with other devices now - but still slow!

As I work from home and rely on my internet to connect to work's remote desktop via vpn, they are getting increasingly annoyed at the issues I'm having and asking me to sort it out.

Other than slow speeds, I've had to turn off WiFi on mobile devices because nothing would load. Then re-connect a few minutes or more later.

I have the Sky Broadband router which should be on par with BT's latest hub or so I'm told so can't understand why I'm now having issues, where 4 years with BT I didn't have any. If it wasn't for the fact of now having TV from Sky, I'd cancel the contract and go back - but I don't want to lose the TV.

Any advice? Nothing else has changed, apart from router! So theoretically it should work just the same as before no!?

Thanks

Stats - 

System Up Time: 119:59:52

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collision Pkts Tx b/s Rx b/s Up Time WAN MER 167989519 286534663 0 0 0 104:29:11 LAN Up 51515740 23444081 0 0 1 119:59:53 WLAN (2.4 GHz) Up 44235875 26970892 0 2 1 119:36:09 WLAN (5 GHz) Up 120068088 83535940 0 2 2 119:35:08

Broadband Link Downstream Upstream Connection Speed 59868 kbps 8390 kbps Line Attenuation D1(16.3 dB) , D2(40.2 dB) , D3(59.8 dB) U0(5.3 dB) , U1(31.1 dB) , U2(46.2 dB) Noise Margin 4.0 dB 6.2 dB

• You are getting 60Mbps to the router so I would connect your laptop with an ethernet cable and check the speed with that.
  • You will have a completely different connection point art the Cab now \ I think.
Passing on the tips I have learned in over 24 years as a more than satisfied Sky customer.

catterbury
Topic Author

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I can check it via cable, however I can't run a cable to the room it's based in. I've always used WiFi for the past 5 years with no issues so unless Sky's router is extremely inferior I'm not sure why I'm having issues.

You mentioned the cabinet - is this something to go on, that there's an issue here perhaps?

I'm very close to sacrificing TV and going back to BT to be honest. Shouldn't be like this.

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@catterbury 

"You mentioned the cabinet - is this something to go on, that there's an issue here perhaps?"

Going by the time of night the drop happened thats likely to be dynamic line management still ongoing for the first 10 days so you may get a few more over the next 3 days.  Everything at the cabinet looks to be close to as fast as you will get with a downstream noise margin of 4db so i would look at something wifi related. 

You may want to consider ethernet/wifi  powerline adapters if your house is on the same electric circuit  and downloading something like Analiti to check what neighbouring ssids are using the same 2.4ghz wifi channels and change yours accordingly 

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by paulw12345 This message was authored by: paulw12345

You don't have to have broadband to still have sky tv, so worst case i would of thought you could cancel broadband within your cooling off period. Sky superfast/boost guarentee says 29days to get max speeds i think.

Have you got sky boost gaurentee as well?

Iam getting sky broadband superfast with boost next week.......

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@catterbury wrote:

I can check it via cable, however I can't run a cable to the room it's based in. I've always used WiFi for the past 5 years with no issues so unless Sky's router is extremely inferior I'm not sure why I'm having issues.

In some aspects it is and this is why you are having issues. There is nothing wrong with your line

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
This message was authored by paulw12345 This message was authored by: paulw12345

@jamesn123 

What makes sky worse?

Does having minis act as hotspots help or hinder. Main Q box is on ethernet...

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@paulw12345 

The router physically is just not as good as BTs offering, this is why you'll find that BT is almost always more expensive than Sky in terms of broadband. 

Having minis may slow it down a bit but shouldnt make that much of a difference. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion