Discussion topic: 5G wifi no not showing up on list of networks ?

This message was authored by Jono400 This message was authored by: Jono400

5G wifi no not showing up on list of networks ?

Hi , issue with my 5g wifi within the house. First noticed today where we could not get a signal on our skyQ multi room boxes. Pressed the WPS button on my main box but the skyQ boxes woukd just not find a signal. Shortly afterwards upon checking my wifi settings on both my iPad and android phone I noticed if I pressed on 5g it was comming up as unavailable..which would obviously explain why my multi room sky Q boxes were not picking up a signal from the main sky box located downstairs .

Phoned sky tech and the chap was great got me to reset everything via the router online settings and eventually we got the sky q boxes working fine. Unfortunately now within my wifi settings on iPad or android phone the 5G option is not showing up !

strange that the 5G is working as that is what the multi room skyQ boxes use but won't show up on my list of wifi networks .

I have split the 2.4 and 5g via the router online settings as required the 2.4 option to set up a few wireless security cameras a few years ago . This has been fine since then so nothing to do with that .

the tech guy got me to split the wifi again as obviously resetting the router settings earlier would have reset the router to original settings and would require me to do this again .

Tech guy was stumped and advised that it sounded like a software issue within the main sky box so has advised for a new box to be sent out.

Have read a few folk advise having similar issues with the 5g wifi not showing up  but yet to hear if this was sorted out with a new box ?

Thoughts ?

All Replies

This message was authored by JimM1 This message was authored by: JimM1

Re: 5G wifi no not showing up on list of networks ?

@Jono400 Can you post which hub that you have, if not sure link below will help, but i will assume you have probably Sky Broadband Hub, as i see you know how to split the bands and get into the router.

Setting up your Sky hub | Sky Help | Sky.com

When you log into the router, you will see the following on the very first page

Status of your broadband and wireless network
Broadband Connected
Wireless Enabled
Wireless Network Name (SSID) xxxxxxxx (2.4 GHz), xxxxxxxxxx (5 GHz)
Wireless Network Visible Yes
Current Wireless Channel 1 (2.4 GHz), 36 (5 GHz)
Wireless Encryption WPA2-PSK

This will be both SSID for each band the xx will be your ssid that you set.
This will be conformation that your bands are set, no issues from the hardware.
If you see this when logged on and connected, router is set correct.
If the devices do not pick up the band for the 5Ghz as you suggest or you cannot see it
for example on your mobile, then the possibility could be that the router has failed and no longer 
transmitting the 5Ghz signal, If android phone i have and use netspot app to see signal it will connect on 4G and show you all the ssid signals so does not even rely on a wifi connection, little bit slower due to the 4G.
If it has failed then new router should fix the issue, and so you know there is a backup to save and restore settings for getting new router up quick without having to go through all the changes etc.
In maintenance backup settings.
Jono400
Topic Author

Thanks so much for your kind reply. Yes all the relevant information is there when I log onto the router and yes showing both 2.4 ( ch6 )and 5 ghz wifi info ( ch 36 ) . Again strange that I can get both the multi room sky q boxes working if indeed the 5ghz side is not working as he did say the multi room boxes require 5g to pick up the signal from the main sky unit  ?

I possibly picked the tech guy up wrong as positive it as a new main sky box that was being sent as opposed to a new router but again possibly just picked him up wrong..it was a long call !!

I know for certain the iPad we use in the house had the 5ghz option before as we had a total of three wifi networks to choose from that showed up . 2.4 / 5ghz and a wifi signal booster that worked via 2.4.

This message was authored by JimM1 This message was authored by: JimM1

@Jono400 Your account will/should show current order status, as to what is being dispatched to you, and as you say long conversations etc, Not 100% sure regarding Sky Q which bands are used for what,

but there is Q issues at present, so you may also want to temporary switch it off and see if everything else starts to work. Thats another option.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Jono400 Sky hubs by default offer a single dual band SSID which is why you are only seeing one. You onlly get two separate SSIDs if you split the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands by reprogramming the hub. Sky Q works best with the default settings as do most newer devices so only split bands with Sky Q if you have devices that wont connect typically these are smart plugs etc which have cheap wifi chips..

Sky Q boxes provide a mesh wifi network when paired with a Sky hub with each Q box acting as a dualband wifi  hotspot which most devices can roam between seamlessly. One issue though is if a Q box has relatively poor connection to the others its hot spot can only provide relatively low speeds. Given you cannot directly control which hotspot you phone connects to you can find speeds drop when you are on area of your home. The best answer is to improve what is called the backhaul connection to that Sky Q box. Wifi signals can be blocked by solid objects so having the hub out in the open on a table or shelf helps as does making sure Q minis are not tucked away behind the TV these are is easy wins if they apply in your home but in some cases you may want to consider buying a powerline networking kit that uses the mains wiring to carry data from the hub to the Q box. When i had Sky Q I used such a system to connect a Q mini in an upstair bedroom greatlyimprving wfi speeds on thst floor. 

One thing despite the similar name 5g is not the same as 5GHz wifi, the former is 5th Generation mobile telephony while 5GHz is the frequency of one of the bands used for Wifi. Sky Q uses ch36 to ch 52 by default  which is shown as ch36 80 MHz.  

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Jono400
Topic Author

Thanks again appreciate your reply. Yes sorry looked at my email received following the call and it's showing as a new sky hub 4.2 that's being sent ..sorry my mistake thought it was the actual main sky box..at least it will keep the wife happy as she won't loose all her recordings if we had to change box !!

Did ask the chap if there had been any sky issues in the area ( KY11 postcode ) but advised he advised nothing was reported. 
Anyway again thank you and hopefully the new updated router will sort out the issue !

Jono400
Topic Author

@Chrisee ..Sorry did miss your reply !

In answer to your reply as above have split the signal on the router several years ago whilst installing wireless security cams / smart plugs etc and all has been fine up until now. Also when we reset the router during fault finding we set the split signal on the again as obviously during the reset to default it would have removed this particular setting.

Yes thanks for the info on the 5G to the skyQ boxes , had read late last night it's a mesh type system as opposed to just a regular 5G wifi signal.

So unfortunately the issue with the 5G wifi not showing up on list of available networks continues but hopefully the new router / software will cure the issue causing it ! Again been fine for years just happened to notice the skyQ multiroom boxes woukd not connect yearserday then noticed that the 5G option on our phones for wifi was not showing either !

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Jono400 sounds like the Sky agent suspected a fault with the hub and is a sensible thing to try. If you havent done so download the Wifi Analyzer app onto an Android phone it will show you exactly what signals are in range as you move round your home with their signal strength and channel.

You should see both a 2.4GHz and a 5GHz signal from each Q box. You will also see your neighbour's wifi networks if they are on the channels overlap they can cause interference. The Sky Q signals cannot interfere one with another.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Jono400
Topic Author

Thanks for that appreciate your advice.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion