Discussion topic: 2 month wait to reactivate Broadband

This message was authored by F1NLAY5ON This message was authored by: F1NLAY5ON

2 month wait to reactivate Broadband

I recently cancelled my Sky broadband, which ended on 7th November. My new provider has just told me that they cannot actually install broadband on the line. So, I have now asked for Sky to reactivate my broadband, and I am being told the earliest they can activate is 3rd Jan (2 months!!).

All I need is the line reactivating, I still have the router. The line had sky broadband going through it less than a week ago, so it seems ridiculous that I now have to wait 2 months for someone to just flip a switch.

Has anyone had this same issue and any luck? Phone staff are no help at all as they just read from a script and say they can only tell me what the system tells them.

All Replies

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

Re: 2 month wait to reactivate Broadband

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

The work to connect you to the Sky network is done by a company called Openreach so this ate comes from them. It will not help you but they have been on strike a few times recently so there is probably a backlog of work for them to do but having said that a January date does seem like a long time to wait so other than keep calling Sky as a customer there isn't anything you can do if they will not budge on that date.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
This message was authored by Eeeps This message was authored by: Eeeps

Did you cancel your Sky broadband rather than moving it to a new supplier?

If so you may have lost your line on the cabinet.

Check the BT Availability Checker to see if there is a waiting list on your cabinet.

F1NLAY5ON
Topic Author
This message was authored by F1NLAY5ON This message was authored by: F1NLAY5ON

Yes I cancelled Sky Broadband, then booked another provider to set up broadband the day after Sky ended.

They said there was something like an open disconnection or something so they couldn't use the line (a lot of it went over my head what they actually said).

I just tried that link and it doesn't say anything about a waiting list on the cabinet

Screenshot_20221111-214439.png

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@F1NLAY5ON 

I'd draw your attention to the line " As a fibre priority exchange, FTTP has priority over other products if available at the address "

This almost certainly means that your new order with Sky is going to provisioned over FTTP (even if you request a 'Superfast' product) and unfortunately FTTP can have a very long lead time because suitably skilled Openreach staff are in short supply.  It also means they won't 'just flip a switch' to reactivate FTTC.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@F1NLAY5ON 

Oh, and also unfortunately, ' UG congested duct ' isn't good either, because this implies that although you're getting FTTP, it's not simple to reach the property.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@F1NLAY5ON 

You can see that FTTC is now 'Unavaliable' on your exchange because its been transitioned to a FTTP priority exchange. This means any new activations/installed go through FTTP rather than the old FTTC method. When Sky cancelled your old FTTC line you would have lost the ability to be on FTTC so now any order you place has to go over FTTP and due to your congested duct along with Openreach personnel availability in your area it could take weeks to months. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion