Discussion topic: Vulnerable customer not allowed to cancel subscription

This message was authored by LW19872022 This message was authored by: LW19872022

Vulnerable customer not allowed to cancel subscription

The sky account holder has left the country to work abroad and they have had to cancel sky because i cannot afford it.

The account holder has now made me the account holder now and i am trying to resolve a debt so that i can close the account fully but i can't close the account until i set up a new payment plan. I am not in the early cancellation period. I don't want a new payment plan as i am trying to cancel but i'm not allowed. 

I have autistic spectrum disorder and the threatening letters are causing me stress and meltdowns. I cannot afford to keep paying for Sky every month but you won't allow me to cancel. I am cancelling because i am already in money troubles. I just want to settle the debt and be left alone before i get into even more debt. I've turned off my TV at the plug and the internet router so i'm not using the services anymore but you are still threatening me with letters. I don't have any options. 

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by SKY1992bf This message was authored by: SKY1992bf

Re: Vulnerable customer not allowed to cancel subscription

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@LW19872022  The genuine account holder cannot transfer the account to you as sky don't allow account ownership changes

only the original account holder can close the account , and you are not liable for the account if it wasn't originally taken out in your name 

FYI this is primarily a customer helps customer forum with no account access

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please note: I am just a sky customer not a employee - posts from sky employees are clearly marked as such
my setup: Samsung 5 series 32inc tv | sky +hd box | variety, SKY & TNT sports,sky cinema | Netflix and prime video
Please note: I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if this post has helped please give it a like ~ if this post has solved your question/query please mark it as the answer in order to help others

If you would like to post a “Send Your Thanks to Sky” message please click Here
This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@LW19872022 

Sky will chase the account holder for the debt. That won't be you although you may have taken on the responsibility of trying to pay the bill and cancel. Only the account holder can cancel., and only after any outstanding balance has been paid to Sky. Unfortunately if you live at the same address as Sky is set up any escalation to debt collectors is going to land on your doormat. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@LW19872022 wrote:

...you are still threatening me with letters. 

Are the letters actually addressed to you? If so, it would indicate that you are, in fact, the accountholder.

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion