Discussion topic: Subtitles on Sky Glass

This message was authored by JD169 This message was authored by: JD169

Subtitles on Sky Glass

Hello

I understand that subtitles will be available on Sky glass like how it is currently offered on Q. 

However, as some channels notably C5 and some off the lesser channels such as UKTV have subtitles at time of broadcasting over air, it does not extend out to their respective on demand platforms within Sky Q.  So I often finding myself recording these programmes so I can access the subtitles. 

I see Sky Glass will not record programmes as such, but add to a playlist. Can someone confirm that subtitles would be available if I playlist a program with subtitles at time of airing, but doesn't have it through on demand?

Otherwise Sky would need to clarify and make this visibly clear for customers who rely on this service, as well as other accessibility features including Audio Description. 

Thanks

Best Answers
This message was authored by lettice This message was authored by: lettice Answer

Re: Subtitles on Sky Glass

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

All that has been mentioned by Sky is what is avaiable on their pre register page, under the accessibility section;
Sky Glass - 4K UHD TV - Specs & Features | Sky.com

Sky Glass is designed to support people with visual, hearing, cognitive and physical impairments. So more people can enjoy it.

What’s included?
High Contrast / Subtitles / Audio Description / Highlighting in TV Guide / Voice Control / Motion Detection

Would though expect if you set a playlist 'recording' of a live broadcast channel it will still keep the subtitles as it does now on Q.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 
Sky Community Superuser. What is a Superuser? Click here to find out
Sky Stream with two pucks (Former Sky Q and Sky+ customer), Sky Ultrafast + using Sky SR203 hub. Sky Protect kit tester.

View this Answer within the discussion

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by rscott This message was authored by: rscott

If it's subtitled on Q, it'll be subtitled on Glass.

This message was authored by lettice This message was authored by: lettice Answer

All that has been mentioned by Sky is what is avaiable on their pre register page, under the accessibility section;
Sky Glass - 4K UHD TV - Specs & Features | Sky.com

Sky Glass is designed to support people with visual, hearing, cognitive and physical impairments. So more people can enjoy it.

What’s included?
High Contrast / Subtitles / Audio Description / Highlighting in TV Guide / Voice Control / Motion Detection

Would though expect if you set a playlist 'recording' of a live broadcast channel it will still keep the subtitles as it does now on Q.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 
Sky Community Superuser. What is a Superuser? Click here to find out
Sky Stream with two pucks (Former Sky Q and Sky+ customer), Sky Ultrafast + using Sky SR203 hub. Sky Protect kit tester.

JD169
Topic Author
This message was authored by JD169 This message was authored by: JD169

Okay. So is playlist essentially just recording like on Sky Q? 

As I thought it was pulling from VoD servers such as iPlayer, All4, My5 etc as opposed to storing on a local HDD.

Thanks

This message was authored by rscott This message was authored by: rscott

@JD169 wrote:

As I thought it was pulling from VoD servers such as iPlayer, All4, My5 etc as opposed to storing on a local HDD.

Thanks

It's like recording on Q, but is saved in the cloud. Will be available for 12 months and doesn't rely on the on demand services (as not all channels have everything on them).

This message was authored by KMonty This message was authored by: KMonty

I'm having same problem.

Tried to watch Sky Witness from playlist & can't get subtitles, although I could last week with SkyQ. 
My husband relies on them so we may have to consider sending Glass TV back. 
Disappointing   

This message was authored by Digifriendly This message was authored by: Digifriendly

@rscott wrote:

@JD169 wrote:

Thanks

It's like recording on Q, but is saved in the cloud. Will be available for 12 months and doesn't rely on the on demand services (as not all channels have everything on them).

Does this recording to cloud include BBC/ITV/C4/C5 or only certain Sky channels?

D. Howard Gilpin
This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

@Digifriendly wrote:

@rscott wrote:

@JD169 wrote:

Thanks

Does this recording to cloud include BBC/ITV/C4/C5 or only certain Sky channels?

Check out the pinned FAQ at the top of the forum

Annie  ( Please Note: I am Neurodivergent )
This message was authored by Jon+Reeve This message was authored by: Jon+Reeve

I have a big, big issue with Sky not bothering to subtitle UHD content.

The BBC can do it. There's no excuses Sky.

This message was authored by Cross+customer+ag This message was authored by: Cross+customer+ag

I am really disappointed was sold this as the best new thing in tv. Programmes drop out pucks don't work well the subtitles do not work if you add a show to the playlist I feel I have been lied to will be sending back don't waste your money they are misrepresenting the  whole sky glass con 

This message was authored by Cross+customer+ag This message was authored by: Cross+customer+ag

Subtitles are hit and miss on Sky glass at the moment especially when using playlist .

I think it appalling that Sky do not provide a service for people with hearing disabilities. It should be reported to ofcom which will be my next step because I am not enjoying using Sky glass and pay good money for such poor service.

This message was authored by Jayboy1990 This message was authored by: Jayboy1990

Considering this was slated as being great for the elderly in their keynote, my grandmother would throw this out the window if she didn't get subtitles to work consistently. I'm angry about this situation

——————————————————————————————————

*PLEASE if you have been helped 'like' the response. Been given an answer from a member PLEASE mark as the answer*
I help out where I can in the Sky Glass forum, maybe a superuser but not a sky employee.

Sky glass 55”Anthracite - Stand mounted - Ethernet

Virgin media broadband 350mbps
Sky mobile - iPad and iPhone 13 pro max
Plenty of Apple tech
This message was authored by isaacs147 This message was authored by: isaacs147

if you mean can you get subtitles on sky glass yes you can go down to settings sorry not sure what to click on there are options in settings to get subtitles up on screen it might be called accessibility click on that  regards

This message was authored by Jayboy1990 This message was authored by: Jayboy1990

It's not consistent across the entire system though!

——————————————————————————————————

*PLEASE if you have been helped 'like' the response. Been given an answer from a member PLEASE mark as the answer*
I help out where I can in the Sky Glass forum, maybe a superuser but not a sky employee.

Sky glass 55”Anthracite - Stand mounted - Ethernet

Virgin media broadband 350mbps
Sky mobile - iPad and iPhone 13 pro max
Plenty of Apple tech
This message was authored by Tom-W19 This message was authored by: Tom-W19

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi Cross+customer+ag

I have escalated your post to our Community Messaging team who will invite you to a private chat shortly and help you with this.

Just look out for the blue bubble to start the conversation.

Here's more information on how Community Messaging works - https://community.sky.com/t5/Did-you-know/Escalating-a-post-to-a-Sky-expert/ba-p/3711147

Thanks
Tom

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion