Discussion topic: Sky Q box can’t connect to network

This message was authored by rowlee0 This message was authored by: rowlee0

Sky Q box can’t connect to network

Here is a corker for you! My main Q box connects to the router fine but says no internet connection therefore resulting in both mini boxes also not behaving. Network is fine, all phones, tablets & smart TV's work fine, Netflix works over the WiFi so the issue appears to be the main box. I have an engineer coming out tomorrow but would really like to resolve this myself.

thanks for taking time to read my post.

Lee

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by Nikki737 This message was authored by: Nikki737

Re: Sky Q box can’t connect to network

Hi

It sounds like it could be a main box issue.

The main box acts as slave to all the mini boxes and without it working fine no mini box will work. The engineer should swap the box.

You can in the meantime try going to network settings on main box and resetting the connection fully and rebooting main box before reconnecting via WiFi to the router. If this works all minis will need a reset/reboot too.

If you have a mesh system with a different broadband provider you need to bypass this when using Sky q as it will cause issues.

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@rowlee0 wrote:

Here is a corker for you! My main Q box connects to the router fine but says no internet connection therefore resulting in both mini boxes also not behaving. Network is fine, all phones, tablets & smart TV's work fine, Netflix works over the WiFi so the issue appears to be the main box. I have an engineer coming out tomorrow but would really like to resolve this myself.

thanks for taking time to read my post.

Lee

I think this can happen from time to time.

I suggest that you do a full restart of your Router followed by a power down restart of your Main box

Use the remote to place it into standby mode

Then remove the power to it (either switch off at mains or remove the power plug)

Wait at least 30s

Then re-apply the power & wait for it to fully restart - this may take a few minutes.

rowlee0
Topic Author
This message was authored by rowlee0 This message was authored by: rowlee0

Hi, thanks for your input, if the box is to be replaced will I loose all the recodings or will they transfer over? I am assuming not as I don't think Sky know about the Cloud 🙄.

I have tried every way to rest box, router with same outcome every time 

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

hi @rowlee0 

If they do replace the box then, yes, the recordings are lost and not available on the replacement 

The exception is content that you have purchased which can be downloaded to the new box

Many programmes may also  still be available via Catch up or still available on demand

Thus it it is worth making a list of all programmes set to record  and series links etc and details of any programmes you might want to try to download again 

This message was authored by Nikki737 This message was authored by: Nikki737

Yes unfortunately you will lose all recordings but most should be recovered from on demand. (Let me know if you have issues with getting on demand on a separate note)

It does sound like your box is the issue and you will need the engineer. I do this job and sounds like box to me.  2tb are the worst affected but can happen sometimes regardless.

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion