Discussion topic: Sky Broadband being throttled?

This message was authored by Maverick1975 This message was authored by: Maverick1975

Sky Broadband being throttled?

I have FTTC sky broadband and have had next to no issues with it since install 3 years ago. I have a speed guarantee of 50Mb/s and it has never dropped below 57Mb/s. Until the 12th Feb. It suddenly dropped to 44Mb/s and has stayed there since. Still is at time of writing.

An openreach engieer is coming Monday but I dont believe there is anything wrong in my house. I would be supprised if they found any faults outside the property also. Faults would surely resuly in eratic speeds, more severe slow speeds or drop-outs. It looks much more like throttling to me. But that been said, Sky have to compensate me every day my BB is below 50Mb/s. So it is not in their interest to throttle my speeds.

Any ideas? I honestly think an engineer visit is a waste of time.

Best Answers
This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk Answer

Re: Sky Broadband being throttled?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Maverick1975 

44Mbps with a guarantee of 50Mbps on a line capable of 65-70Mbps with a high noise margin ... have i left anything out 🤔 thats one bad line fault . Can't tell where it lies internal or external but you are close to the cabinet shouldn't be to hard to find . Hope it gets sorted

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up

View this Answer within the discussion

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@Maverick1975 

Can you post your router stats

https://community.sky.com/t5/Broadband/How-to-find-your-Sky-Broadband-router-stats/m-p/2855717#M1014...

Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

Maverick1975
Topic Author
This message was authored by Maverick1975 This message was authored by: Maverick1975

I'll have a look at posting them on here when I get home to access my router.

The speeds I am quoting are direct from the mySKY health check

Maverick1975
Topic Author

Stats attached. Speed is as sky state

Screenshot_20220225-224150_Chrome.jpg

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk Answer

@Maverick1975 

44Mbps with a guarantee of 50Mbps on a line capable of 65-70Mbps with a high noise margin ... have i left anything out 🤔 thats one bad line fault . Can't tell where it lies internal or external but you are close to the cabinet shouldn't be to hard to find . Hope it gets sorted

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

@Maverick1975Does thebroadband test pick up any faults when you run it?

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.
Maverick1975
Topic Author

It did show a slower than capable speeds but that was it. This morning everything is green dots but still 44mb/s so poor speed

Maverick1975
Topic Author

The engineer is here Monday so we find out then I guess

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion