Discussion topic: ***. Broadband speed continually dropping?

This message was authored by MACAPPLE This message was authored by: MACAPPLE

***. Broadband speed continually dropping?

Hi all

Our Broadband (Ultrafast) was installed on the 4th January and initial speed tests using Skys speed test were 159 - 161Mb/s but since then the speed has been continually dropping and it was said to be 141Mb/s!

While that's a decent speed for Sky BB, it should really be continually dropping?

As I stated on an earlier post. The engineer didn't install the "full fibre" BB and ONT modem that I was expecting (he said he wasn't trained in installing full fibre) so,  he changed the 4 years old master box to an Openreach Master Socket 5C with G.Fast on the front bottom (which took about 30 minutes)!

We now have fibre to the cabinet and copper from cabinet to the premises!

Comments welcome!

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

Re: ***. Broadband speed continually dropping?

@MACAPPLE 

Could the forum please see a post of the router stats for the G.fast broadband line, and whether you are using anything like ethernet powerline homeplugs?

-------

Zen internet on FTTP (900Mbps down, 100Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@MACAPPLE 

How are you testing the speeds? 

Your actual throughput can change depending on conditions, 141mbps is still well within spec for a G.Fast line

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
MACAPPLE
Topic Author

I initially used SPEEDTEST and the speeds we're from 140 to 150Mb/s but using it randomly, even those speeds were dropping and this mornings test 123Mb/s!

But, overall, I've been using Skys own "Test your Broadband Speed" which Sky would say that their speed is the more accurate speed!

With regard to posting our router stats, I don't normally make a habit of logging in to the router and have forgotten how to do that but, if you could refresh my memory, I'll give it a go later on today!

No, I'm not using anything like Ethernet power line homeplugs!

@MACAPPLE 

Speedtest on what device and how is it connected to the router? 

Router stats instructions

I am NOT a Sky Employee
MACAPPLE
Topic Author

UPDATE to this post:  Note:  After I tried to post the info below, I received a RED message saying that I had to remove certain information before trying to post again!

Ok, I've just logged in to our router and found the information under maintenance but, unfortunately, I'm not sure how to copy & paste on my MacBook!  I'll google it shortly but, in the meantime, I've noted both the down and upstream connection speeds and they are as follows:

Downstream: 

Upstream: 

I hope that helps?

If I manage to copy & paste the router stats, for security and privacy reasons, is there anything in those stats that I need to remove?

Using SPEEDTEST, I've just connected my MacBook directly to the router using an Ethernet cable from the router to network adapter to USB(C)!

Once complete, I was disappointed to see that the download speed was 123Mb/s and, the Upload was 28Mb/s (which, give or take 1 or 2Mb/s, it normally is)!

I will, hopefully, be able to copy the router stats over the next couple of hours and, will post them later!

MACAPPLE
Topic Author

Hi all, with reference to my router stats, I was reading a few posts from other members and one in particular posted their router stats and, they were not the same as I viewed on my router?

I followed the guide to log in which was posted by another member and log in was fine, but when I compared my stats to another member, they didn't look the same?  Was I looking in the same area of the router?

*** Question:  I've moved my router across the other side of the room and used a shorter RJ11 cable to see if it made any difference but, I had to disconnect my 'short' network cable running from my Q box to the router!

Is it necessary to hard wire the Q box to the router???

@MACAPPLE 

Just post a screenshot if you cant copy and paste. There is no sensitive information in your stats

You dont have to wire your Q box to the hub but its ideal if you can

I am NOT a Sky Employee
MACAPPLE
Topic Author

Hi, thanks for your reply!

Ref connecting the Q box the router, it was hard wired but, the router was quite near the the Q box and was using a short network cable which will not reach where the router is now!  I could buy a longer cable but, when I checked in "setting, Setup, status, status, it shows "connection to broadband router" ticked and, "connection to internet" ticked so, the Q box is connected!

So, but not hardwiring the Q box to the router, am I missing out on anything?

With reference to the router stats, when I tried to post the speeds, I received an immediate red letter message saying that I needed to alter the content before posting?

@MACAPPLE wrote:

So, but not hardwiring the Q box to the router, am I missing out on anything?

No but its better to always use ethernet where possible for speed and stability

@MACAPPLE wrote:

With reference to the router stats, when I tried to post the speeds, I received an immediate red letter message saying that I needed to alter the content before posting?

Yes its do with HTML formatting on the forum which is why i suggested you use a screenshot instead

I am NOT a Sky Employee
MACAPPLE
Topic Author

Hey, I've just been thinking about our last contract with Sky 4 years ago, when we had a microfilter plugged in to the master socket to minimise issues with the BB or phone line but, unless there is a 'built in' microfilter in our Openreach Master Socket 5C (with G.Fast on the front), surely our BB package should have included one?

We have internet calling so our telephone is connected to our SR204 router and when we first picked the phone up, it sounded a bit 'noisy' on the line?  Maybe the absence of a filter is why we are getting speed issues and some interference on the line?

@MACAPPLE 

The G.fast faceplate includes a filter, and even if it didn't you wouldn't need one because the phone is plugged into the router with VoIP.

-------

Zen internet on FTTP (900Mbps down, 100Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.

@MACAPPLE 

To do further diagnostics then a screenshot of the router stats for the G.fast broadband line would be useful. But basically, if the speed is dropping and the noise margin is raised above 3dB then it could indicate a possible fault on the G.fast broadband line to the PoD, eg: impacting speed, jitter and latency.

A raised noise margin would show the broadband line is experiencing noise that could impact jitter and additionally, the latency that may cause issues with voice calls over VoIP, eg: echoing and lag. But the noise on the phone itself over IP in the form of crackling would usually indicate a fault with the handset itself when you are on Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) as this is completely digital with the exception of the analogue section of the call from the router socket to the telephone handset. A faulty telephone handset cannot impact the G.fast broadband line itself as that is isolated from the G.fast digital signalling by the router.

-------

MACAPPLE
Topic Author

Hi, thank you for your detailed response!  I've been away from Sky for around 4 years so, I didn't really understand much of what you said!

I will log in to the router when I'm up and about and, correct me if I'm around, under maintenance, that's the part that you need to see?

If so, I'll take a screenshot and post it later this morning!

MACAPPLE
Topic Author

Finally!  Router stats:

MACAPPLE_0-1643883065314.png

MACAPPLE_0-1643882775041.png

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion