Discussion topic: Sky Access to Openreach FTTP infrastructure?

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Re: Sky Access to Openreach FTTP infrastructure?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@THX1138 

My sky line shows but per @Chrisee my line is not part of sky unbundled network but equipment shared thru bt wholesale. You may find that if you ring 17070 you may get a welcome to sky message meaning your line is owned and maintained by sky hence part of skys local loop unbundling

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
THX1138
Topic Author
This message was authored by THX1138 This message was authored by: THX1138

@cookiemonsteruk 

Yep, just rang 17070 and got a Sky welcome, it repeated my number and then given a number of options to choose.

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@THX1138 

Ok

Sky thru bt wholesale number shows on the database

Sky thru its own branded LLU service doesn't

Check re ordi when sky call you back

Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

THX1138
Topic Author

Hello All

After the incredibly mad journey trying to get Sky FTTP installed, I’m now on the on the 7th ordering attempt and for the first time have received the text message below from Openreach.

“Hi it’s Openreach. We have received your order from Sky and will be installing your future fibre technology on 17 Dec arriving between 8am-1pm at postcode ending 0AB. Send CONFIRM to agree.”

Am I safe to assume that the text message above from Openreach is the ‘real deal’ sent to customers before an FTTP install and not what customers are sent for a FTTC install?

Many thanks

If all goes according to plan, I’ll let everyone know what Sky finally discovered to be my problem, but right now I dare not tempt the devil!

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@THX1138 

FTTC typically doesn't require any installer attendance at the subscription address, so I would hope that's an FTTP appointment.  'future fibre technology' is a new one on me, but may well be Openreach marketing-speak.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
THX1138
Topic Author

@TimmyBGood 

Yes, I've got all fingers crossed this time and think you're right regards a physical appointment only being needed for FTTP.

This message was authored by simon194 This message was authored by: simon194

@THX1138 wrote:

Hello All

After the incredibly mad journey trying to get Sky FTTP installed, I’m now on the on the 7th ordering attempt and for the first time have received the text message below from Openreach.

“Hi it’s Openreach. We have received your order from Sky and will be installing your future fibre technology on 17 Dec arriving between 8am-1pm at postcode ending 0AB. Send CONFIRM to agree.”

Am I safe to assume that the text message above from Openreach is the ‘real deal’ sent to customers before an FTTP install and not what customers are sent for a FTTC install?

Many thanks

If all goes according to plan, I’ll let everyone know what Sky finally discovered to be my problem, but right now I dare not tempt the devil!

That's the same text I got when I had FTTP installed back in April. When I confirmed it I got another text with a link to a video to watch and then had to send a text to the number at the end of the video.

Topic Author

@simon194 

That's very reassuring to hear 😊

THX1138
Topic Author

Just a quick check-in with the good folks here.

As stated earlier I received the text message below from Openreach on the 3rd December:

A week latter on the 10th December I received this further text message from Openreach:

“Hi it’s Openreach on behalf of Sky. We are coming to install your future fibre technology at ***0AB on 17 Dec arriving between 8am-1pm. Please read the info in this checklist to ensure a successful visit: www.openreach.co.uk/fibreinstall. Reply CONFIRM if everything is ok.”

So, from an ‘Openreach’ perspective, things appear to be moving in the right direction regards my FTTP install.

Does anyone happen to know when the Sky Order Tracking steps below should begin to change from ‘In Progress’, in relation to the Openreach messages above?

Order.jpg

Sky support and myself are monitoring this FTTP order with eagle eyes, due to my never seen before issue, and any experiences from others here should help identify if something in the Sky ordering system is going askew.

Many thanks

@THX1138 

Firstly have you received the sr203 hub.? Or is that the one you already had?

The others will be done one the same day ie ont installation and activatioo

THX1138
Topic Author

Hi @cookiemonsteruk 

Yes, I have the SR203 already as it's being used for my current FTTC. And thanks for confirming when the Sky Order Tracking 'Progess' should change.

I also now have (x7) WAN link cables sent automatically from Sky each time we attempted to place an upgrade order and then had to cancel it due to order system workflow errors. Sky and I had a good laugh about this as they had no idea how the system kept sending them to me.

So, if anyone needs a WAN cable, I'm your man 🙃

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@THX1138 they are just standard ethernet cables which you can use anywhere.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
THX1138
Topic Author

Hello from the very happy home of THX1138.

Openreach arrived this morning and within a couple of hours the Sky Ultrafast Plus FTTP was up and running and providing 394 Mbps DL and 62 Mbps UL !

After almost a year of trying to resolve my upgrading issue with Sky, we are finally on the fibre!

Long story short, it turned out that the problem was somewhere very deep and hidden within the Sky back-office systems, that no one at Sky had ever seen before. Apparently the system had my landline setup as a VoIP line running with my FTTC Sky Superfast rather than being plugged into my NTE master socket. This is what was finally found to be blocking my upgrade orders and causing an order error every time. It’s just a shame it took Sky 8 months to discover and fix this issue.

Do you think I may be entitled to any goodwill/compensation for this incredibly long and frustrating journey with Sky?

Also, is it normal for the Nokia ONT’s green power LED to be flashing at a very high rate? Or should it be a steady green light?

Lastly, I’d like to pass on my sincere thanks to the good folks here that supported my questions and frustrations and helped me get through this nightmare.

Have a great Xmas and Happy New Year.

@Chrisee @cookiemonsteruk @TimmyBGood @simon194 @Highlinder 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@THX1138 wrote:

Also, is it normal for the Nokia ONT’s green power LED to be flashing at a very high rate? Or should it be a steady green light?

The power LED on my Nokia ONT is steady green: only the Port 1 LED flickers.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
THX1138
Topic Author

D'oh ! I got the LAN and Power leds, wrong way round…It’s the LAN led that’s flashing fast…All is fine.

It’s definitely time for some time off – I’m tired.

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion