Discussion topic: New sky q box - lost sound in firestick

This message was authored by sandy2405 This message was authored by: sandy2405

New sky q box - lost sound in firestick

We got a new sky Q box last week. We just replaced one box for the other. Initially we had a lipsynch problem but we have now sorted that through skyQ install settings, but we have lost sound on the firestick. Have taken firestick out and put it back in, still I sound. Any ideas? Thanks 

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

Re: New sky q box - lost sound in firestick

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

hi @sandy2405 is the Firestick connected directly to another HDMI port on your TV or via a Sound bar or AV Amp?

Have you tried restarting the Firestick ?  

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@sandy2405  As the Firestick has nothing to do with Sky Q then it would most likely be a sound setting on your TV , you don't say if your firestick is directly connected to your TV, but I'm presuming it is, check your TV's sounds settings as you may have amended something when adjsuting the sound for Sky Q.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

sandy2405
Topic Author

Yes it's direct into tv via hdmi- it was working fine until we replaced sky q box.  Ŵe have taken firestick out - is that what you mean by restarting it or should we do something else? New sky q box keeps having a lip sync problem as well. We keep thinking it's sorted by changing settings then it's al happens again. Also seems to only affect certain channnels. Driving us mad.  Thanks 

sandy2405
Topic Author

Also forgot to mention that we don't use the tv for sound, we have a sound bar which is connected directly into tv.

@sandy2405 by restarting the Firestick  - there are 2 ways - one is remove the power from it the second is go into Settings - My Fire Tv - scroll down  - Restart

Are you getting any sound at all when using the firestick ?

What Make & model of TV are you using and which HDMI inputs are the connections for all of the Firestick, SKY Q and Sound Bar ?  

What is the Make & model of your Sound bar ?

Is it a Firestick, Firestick Lite or Firestick 4K ?

hi again @sandy2405 

a couple of further questions :

On the firestick Settings - Display & Audio - Audio -

What setting is that set to

(on my Firestick 4K I have  options for Best  Available, PCM, Dolby Digital + & Dolby Digital)

On SKY Q What setting is in :

Settings - Setup - Audio Visual -  Digital audio Output HDMI - Normal , Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital +

sandy2405
Topic Author

Hi sky q sound is set to digital audio output hdmi ( and optical one ) both on normal 0ms and digital audio output optical normal    And firestick sound is set to Dolby digital plus automatic. Thanks 

sandy2405
Topic Author

it's a Samsung tv model  UE46eh6030k - ordinary fire stick plugged into tv hmdi1, sound bar is Yamaha yas101 plugged into tv via optical cable, brand new skyq box plugged into hdmi 2.  We plugged firestick into a different tv last night and it worked!! So it must be something to do with the settings of something, although we hadn't changed any of them since getting the new sky q box. Tried to restart the firestick through settings and that hasn't worked either, thanks.

@sandy2405 wrote:

it's a Samsung tv model  UE46eh6030k - ordinary fire stick plugged into tv hmdi1, sound bar is Yamaha yas101 plugged into tv via optical cable, brand new skyq box plugged into hdmi 2.  We plugged firestick into a different tv last night and it worked!! So it must be something to do with the settings of something, although we hadn't changed any of them since getting the new sky q box. Tried to restart the firestick through settings and that hasn't worked either, thanks.

hi @sandy2405 

Thanks  for that info I will have a dig around and see if I can spot anything but can't promise anything.

Edited - Sorry missed your reply re settings when I initially replied - thanks

When you tested the firestick on another TV was that using the TV's sound or was that also using a sound bar ?

hi @sandy2405 

I managed to find your manual for your TV  but it doesn't give me all the information I hoped it might

Can you tell me what options you have and what you have set in 

Menu - Sound - Additional Settings - (Enter) - SPDIF Output   - Audio Format 

Can also advise if that is the same when watching both SKY & the Firestick ? 

sandy2405
Topic Author

Hi audio format santa PCM. 😄

@sandy2405 wrote:

Hi audio format santa PCM. 😄

hi @sandy2405 do you get an option to set the SPDIF output format to Dolby Digital or Bitstream ?

If so can you try this

sandy2405
Topic Author

Hi  Dolby digital is greyed out wnd it won't let us select it👍

hi @sandy2405 

Is Dolby Digital greyed out when watching both the Firestick & SKY Q or just one of them ?

If you haven;t already tried can you swap SKY Q & Firestick over so they use the other HDMI input and see if everything remains the same. 

Do you have any other HDMI inputs you can try ? 

Unfortunately the manual I have found makes no reference to the HDMI ports  and also doen;t give any info on how to be able to select Dolby Digital other than options may vary depending on source -not very helpful 

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion