Discussion topic: My experience with the new Sky Broadband Hub

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

This message was authored by mikejcowleyAaaaa This message was authored by: mikejcowleyAaaaa

Re: My experience with the new Sky Broadband Hub

@Chrisee Thanks very much for your replies. You seem to know what you’re talking about. For now I have reset my hub to the default settings and I will wait and see what happens. Original reason for splitting the 2.4G and 5G bands was to attempt to fix problems with my old hubs. Maybe I should have given the new one a chance. Let’s see. Cheers Mike

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Sinth why disable the wifi on the Q boxes thry cannot interfere with the router - that is part of mesh networking. My main Q box is cabled but has wifi on and works very well.  The idea that you have to turn off wifi on ethernet connected Q boxes only applies if you don't have a Sky hub. Personally I want the maximum c]band width so give the hub the ability yo route over whichever route it wants.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by Sinth This message was authored by: Sinth

@Chrisee 

My hub sits on top of my Q box and I want to connect via wifi to the hub, not the Q box.

SKY Q 2TB v2 in SCR mode (WiFi to hub)
SKY Fibre Ultrafast 1
Panasonic 50dx750b
Sonos Playbar - WiFi to Q box
This message was authored by aberdeen19032012 This message was authored by: aberdeen19032012

For me it seems simple enough as I wont be paying sky for tv package even on £39 offer has have all my tv set up. It will be simply £32pm with new sky router SSID split and selecting same channels my bt hub is already on.

Seems that will be the best for me when I get put of BT 

Only reason leaving BT is price - their sales pitch to me is "you get 60mb everywhere in house all rooms no mesh no boosters you get the 18 upload everywhere as well you get what you pay for - skys guarantee is a min 3 in every room your comparing apples with pears here were £15pm more for a reason" ....

Time will tell if it was all talk !

This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1

@Sinth wrote:

@Chrisee 

My hub sits on top of my Q box and I want to connect via wifi to the hub, not the Q box.

@Sinth  A friendly piece of advice   It's not advisable to place anything  on top of the Q box as it can cause it to overheat 😀😀😀

I may be a Sky Superuser but I am still just a Sky customer

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, all connected by wifi
Sky Broadband Hub/SR203, Sky Ultrafast broadband
Ultimate on Demand, Q Experience/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV, Google Pixel 7 Pro mobile
This message was authored by Loobs72 This message was authored by: Loobs72

Hi. I have had 8 months of issues with numerous engineer visits with the previous hub so much so that I ended up using a third party router whilst waiting for this new hub to be released.  The issue was the Wi-fi signal constantly dropping out so mimi boxes freezing.  In that previous setup I also had a sky booster connected to the hub via Ethernet cable (done by the sky engineer).

i have had the new hub a few days now.  I have a sky q box and 3 minis and other Wi-fi devices.  When setting up new hub I didn’t connect the booster to see how I got on.  I am still suffering dropouts in signal as when it happens the mini box freezes and I can’t connect to the internet on iPhone or iPad.  

Anyone got got any ideas what I can do (in simple terms as I’m not very technical)?

Are the booster boxes used with the new hub the same as the old ones?  Am I best to connect the booster via Ethernet into the hub (they would then sit next to each other like in my old setup)?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

@Loobs72 assume you got the new hub via Sky's Broadband Boost? If so I recommend getting their engineers to sort your isssue - there is a new booster that works with the new hub but is currently only available from the engineers. 

It is possible your property is simply not suitable for wifi video distribution due to how it is constructed - not necessarily only due tomthick walls but the use of  metal. My home has an area where wifi cannotvreach due to being in thecshadow of a retaining wall so I use ethernet to get the signal there as it houses my main tv, Q box etc. Sky have cabelled properties before now where that is the case. 

65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by aberdeen19032012 This message was authored by: aberdeen19032012

Any reason why there is a different booster.  Is this one that only comes out with the new hub or one that only comes when booster 1 fails and they magically produce this one - makes you wonder if that case they just dont have  it available for all - thinking why do they have  a different booster as that always gives reduced confidence in the first one hahaha

This message was authored by Loobs72 This message was authored by: Loobs72

@Chrisee  I have an engineer booked for Saturday.  

if my house wasn't suitable for wifi why would the signal just intermittently drop out.  I would have thought I wouldn't get a signal any of the time.

i was going to try to connect my old booster but if they are different ones used with the new hub I won't bother, I will just wait for the engineer.

@Loobs72 if you have marginal signal strength you would get the effect you mention but the cause could be something else like interference or anything of a hundred things. The engineer hopefully should carry tools to find out the cause. Finding wifi faults is often a fairly complex issue requiring patience and sometimes luck.

@Laing1 

Well the small footprint on the new hub (standing) is certainly much better that the Q hub 😉

SKY Fibre Ultrafast 1
Panasonic 50dx750b

@Sinth less bad but defintely not good. Never stack electronic equipmentbthat cools via convection as Sky boxes do. 

This message was authored by Donfor This message was authored by: Donfor

@Sinth   

I find latest Hub is much cooler than previous router.

Think Q box is much less heat.

Neither routers or q box have shown any heat type faults.

This message was authored by Barry+Mc+Kelvey This message was authored by: Barry+Mc+Kelvey

Hi

I had my first issue yesterday with the new Sky Q Router 😞

Anyone had this before?

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/Sky-Q-Router-SSID-Issue/m-p/3075420#M138701

You can answer in that thread instead of doubling up in ths thread.

Thanks in Advance

Sky Q UHD HDR 2 TB Box (32B106)
4 x Sky Q Mini Boxes
Sky Q Hub SR203

@Donfor

Next to no heat from either box here, well ventilated though.

20191007_180459.jpg

SKY Fibre Ultrafast 1
Panasonic 50dx750b

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion