Discussion topic: Many problems with Sky glass

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

This message was authored by tavare149 This message was authored by: tavare149

Re: Many problems with Sky glass

@Mrsjulie, you could be right as it's yours, I'm paying monthly for it. I think it just depends who you speak to and who reviews it. That shouldn't be the case as they should all be working the same way. Anyway since Tuesday mine seems to be behaving itself, touch wood!!!

Cbee
This message was authored by Mrsjulie This message was authored by: Mrsjulie

@tavare149 

I totally agree with you - maybe it was released too soon (as a couple of other posts stated) - Maybe they have tried to be too ambitious! I don't get why they couldn't have designed a hub to stream every thing through WiFi!

This message was authored by chrisgordon75 This message was authored by: chrisgordon75

Having similar issues. Had Sky Glass for a few weeks now and I do love the picture quality...even better than my Samsung QLED I had before this one...sound when working is great too, but we've been getting the sound cutting out about 5 times a day and have to change channel to get it back as well as get black screen with message saying technical fault with this channel....usually switching channels and back again works but sometimes been on all channels. Need to contact sky but worried looking at responses above where there is a month difference between collecting old and replacement arriving!

This message was authored by Joe-Bow This message was authored by: Joe-Bow

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@chrisgordon75 You can do some tests yourself.

If you can, use a wired connection or powerline adapters.  Glass does everthing across your local internal network and the internet.  Many people have very good connections into the house but marginal wifi signal around their house.  I've found all the Sky wifi enabled kit I've had never does a good job, my experience only and it's been fine for many others.

If you're on Wifi try to run a wifi analyser tool at the location where your Glass devices are to see what the signal strengh is at that location.  Wifi can be subject to all sorts of interference, and when using a system like that Glass which is highly reliant on stable wifi this could be a very big problem.

I'd highly recommend investing in a quality mesh if you can't hardwire your kit directly to a router.  I think many of the issues here are caused by poor wifi in the home rather than real Glass issues, and would thing that black screens are very much in that category. 

FWIW, I have my Glass kit all hardwired into my mesh poionts and never get the black screen issues seen on this forum. 

This message was authored by chrisgordon75 This message was authored by: chrisgordon75

@Joe-Bow thanks. Yes I have a 400mb connection and hooked up with Ethernet (I work for a broadband company). Power line adaptors are notorious and I steer clear of them. But if you have no option they're ok. My old sky Q and previous, as you've said with yours, were notoriously bad on Wi-Fi only.

also regularly check Wi-Fi speed and results are over 440 download with 80 upload. Sadly in my case it's not Wi-Fi but agree lots probably are 🙂

@chrisgordon75 Do you happen to have managed switches in your environment, out of interest?  I know Q hated them, but don't know about Glass so was interested in finding out if this was still problematic, but if you had them.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Joe-Bow wrote:

I know Q hated them, but don't know about Glass

Glass shouldn't be doing the weird LAN-side stuff that Q does: the only place I could imagine issues might be if pucks are actually checking for the proximity of a matching television.

Having said that, managed switches do bring a whole lot more options where users can break things.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

@TimmyBGood My thoughts too, but just wanted to try to get some additional background info to try to rule stuff out or in.

@Joe-Bow @I don't I'm afraid. I haven't got any switches set up in my house oddly enough lol. Although I do keep thinking of them. I just have 2 EERO routers at the moment which work great, 

This message was authored by JamesH1981 This message was authored by: JamesH1981

Reported all problems with mine on Monday, being collected and a replacement this evening so 48 hours is pretty good. Assuming the new one actually switches on this will be a step forward on my old one.  Still dubious though so will give this one a couple of days and if no good going to cancel the whole thing.

This message was authored by BenH1993 This message was authored by: BenH1993

Turn off standby motion controls. That should sort the issue for you @Simmo10 

This message was authored by craigbloke This message was authored by: craigbloke

Had sky glass one day ( 17th November ) couldnt update software, faulty screen and pixels failing, rang sky and got a collection of old and new replacement next day...so that was good..

However im running 88mbs network speed, 55" sky glass, constantly haveing picture freeze, and a message saying Technical fault, also loosing stuff from my playlists, I have to say for the money im paying im very dissapointed at the moment, so many issues....my wife is having a melt down as picture freezing.....SKY you need to help your customers and get this product sorted...otherwise its Virgin Media instead....

This message was authored by Sharonc7 This message was authored by: Sharonc7

Our problem is with channel 4 programs 

we have a few programs in the planner, but they don't show up until they have been repeated on 4-7

watching guy Martin tonight we paused the programme for 5 minutes but when it got to the time the programme ended on the tv at 10, the not finished programme stopped and we now can't watch it until it's been repeated.   

@Sharonc7 Had this annoyance tonight with I'm a Celebrity.  

Paused playback that we were watching dropped us out to the live stream (ITN News) when the 26 minute buffer was reached on the news.  

Almost like it needed to start the new buffer so just dropped what was in its playback storage to accommodate the next program regardless that the previous programme was actually being played back.

Exceptionally annoying.

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion