Discussion topic: Magic eye suddenly not working

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

This message was authored by Bert64 This message was authored by: Bert64

Re: Magic eye suddenly not working

Magic eye stopped working, changed plugs tried everything, won't work, what to do ?

This message was authored by IrfanM This message was authored by: IrfanM

Hi there. If you let everyone know your setup they will be able to advise on what might be wrong. 

This message was authored by Bert64 This message was authored by: Bert64

Ok thanks

2 cables from outside in the skybox wich i shortened and put the plugs back on, 2 cables in the bedroom in the magic eye wich i shortened but still dont work, putting the magic eye straight into RF2 in Sky box works so its not the magic eye 🙈

This message was authored by Bronzy+King This message was authored by: Bronzy+King

Magic eyes not working

Hi, After a storm 2  bedroom magic eyes stopped working. The power light on the old 4 x way Amplifier in the loft wasn't working so I bought a

SLx Signal Booster Arial Amplifier For TV/Digital Freeview With Integrated 4G Filter - 4 Output.

Now I have perfect pictures and sounds but can't change channels. They work individually and can change channels when connected directly to rf out via triax and also individually via the cable from to rooms to the triax. Am I correct in thinking I've bought an amplifier that's not powerful enough for changing channels? And can you please advise which one is best for 2 eyes? 

Thanks In Advance.

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Re: Magic eyes not working

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Bronzy+King I suspect the aerial amp you've bought does not have the necessary IR bypass feature. Look for one that has bypass or Sky-compatible in its descriptipn.

This message was authored by nottechno This message was authored by: nottechno

Ive been trying to solve this issue for several years and the experts on here told me my wiring was wrong or my connections were faulty, got so fed up as checked, checked and checked again, and frankly some folk on here rrather than being helpful are rude and condescending being too technical and not in laymans terms..........morale of the story, ask sky engineer last week - as we had a differing issue and explained the issue is intermitent and basically "sky boxes dont like breaks in cables, it weakens the signal and if you have splitters, you will get intermitant problems"

@nottechno wrote:

...and basically "sky boxes dont like breaks in cables, it weakens the signal and if you have splitters, you will get intermitant problems"

Nothing to do with a software update, then.

This message was authored by Bronzy+King This message was authored by: Bronzy+King

Re: Magic eyes not working

@Mark39  Thanks for the quick reply and advice, will give that a try then.

This message was authored by Shortstuff1 This message was authored by: Shortstuff1

Morning. I've got a magic eye in the kitchen which was working fine until I had a short sharp power cut. The light went out on the eye but was still receiving pictures. I went out and brought a new eye but still no better. I've now managed to get the light back on but still doesn't work the remote. Spoken to a few sky blokes and they said it could be a fuse blown?!? But where? Any help is much appreciated.

Welcome to the forum @Shortstuff1. if you have a standard magic eye setup the only fuse is in the Sky box plug, so that's not the cause.

To troubleshoot, first cover up the front panel of your Sky box and make sure it no longer responds to the remote when you try to change channel etc Next, plug the magic eye straight into the RF2 socket at the rear of the box. The power LED on the eye should light up. Then point the remote towards the magic eye and see if you can change channel.

Let us know how you get on that far. 

This message was authored by Shortstuff1 This message was authored by: Shortstuff1

Thanks @Mark39 but I tried that before coming on here. Sorry I didn't mention that. The eye didn't light up but did when in the kitchen tv.

@Shortstuff1 anything else you've tried? Can you give us full details of your magic eye setup?

I've tried everything. Changed rf channel, turned it on and off. You name it I've done it. Just a bog standard set up. 2 cables in the skybox rf 1 and 2 and a magic eye in the kitchen. Also another magic eye in the bedroom.

In a standard setup, power to a magic eye is provided only by the RF2 socket. With 2 magic eyes, there must therefore be either a passive or amplified splitter somewhere in your setup, to supply both the kitchen and bedroom magic eyes. Can you help with the detail? Also, what is connected to the RF1 socket?

Edited to add: also is the bedroom magic eye working?

@Mark39  sorry there is only a magic eye in the kitchen. It's my dad's skybox so was going on what he told me. 

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion