Discussion topic: Firmware QS013 has started rolling out

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

This message was authored by Cubader This message was authored by: Cubader

Re: Firmware QS013 has started rolling out

A lot of the news articles about the picture quality update say that the  local dimming improvements only work on vivid mode, is that definitly true or does it work on all modes?

Also has everyone noticed an improvment to the picture quality?

This message was authored by Fothergill1 This message was authored by: Fothergill1

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Good point @Cubader I have seen the same in some posts.  A lot of people had also mentioned that there is a marked improvement in picture quality but you need to unplug and reboot before the difference is noticeable.

Unfortunately I seem to be at the back of the line for the update as I am still on QS12.10 so am waiting with baited breath to see the improvements.

------------------------------------------
If my post has solved your issue please mark as an "Answer"
If it has helped please give it a "Like"
This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

@Cubader 

It is only on vivid mode I understand. Vivid mode is unwatchable colours.

I use custom and adjust to my preferences any auto dimming localised or otherwise is turned off as it just makes my panel flicker.

The picture does appear a little sharper, blacks appear deeper which is a plus.

Must say once this tv dies I'd never buy another just pleased it's only a bedroom set.

This message was authored by Fothergill1 This message was authored by: Fothergill1

@Anonymous I appreciate that picture quality is subjective but I would be interested to know what your settings are (then you have some time).  You always have sensible postings and seem to be knowleagable about these things (as of course are many of the community posters). 

------------------------------------------
If my post has solved your issue please mark as an "Answer"
If it has helped please give it a "Like"

@Fothergill1 

Thanks for comments. Yes I was MD of a TV manufacture in South Wales until I retired early 5 years ago, been in the industry since 1986. Not technically qualified but you pick a bit up over 30 years.

Anyway, as you say all settings are quite personal and what suits one will be abhorrent to another.

20221207_135151.jpg

20221207_135119.jpg

I can't say these bring about the perfect picture but it's the best I can get for my tastes.

This message was authored by L3g3nd This message was authored by: L3g3nd

• Both my pucks have updated,but the glass which is the one I want updated,still on 12!! Stupid update!!🤣

@Chrisee wrote:

Hi a new release of firmware has started rolling out . The main highlight at least to me is the  local area dimming option now does something on the Glass TVs. Initial tests shows it does help improve blacks but it is not as effective as similar system on a Panasonic TV I used to own. More viewing required to know if it really works.

Bug fixes I think are included is a fix to the HDMI - CEC issue that caused issues with ARC connected sound systems on some TVs. I think there is also a fix to the picture break up around the boundaries of on screen graphics that UHD sport was prone to. Neither of these have been confirmed by Sky but they have been hinted at.

The roll out maybe a bit quicker, assuming nothing goes wrong,  as Sky freeze firmware releases from mid December to mid January.

Chrisee
Topic Author
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Cubader wrote:

A lot of the news articles about the picture quality update say that the  local dimming improvements only work on vivid mode, is that definitly true or does it work on all modes?

Also has everyone noticed an improvment to the picture quality?

@Cubader local dimming works on all modes in my tests but there appears to be an increase in peak brightness thst is especially noticeable on Vivid mode.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by Ben1980 This message was authored by: Ben1980

Has anyone got the update and using vivid mode that is not overkill. 

if so, please can you share your settings. 

This message was authored by Paul+Boland This message was authored by: Paul+Boland

@Cubader @Anonymous 

It's not only on vivid mode

Local Dimming works on all viewing modes 

There is a big  improvementin picture quality regardless with viewing mode you are using now that Local Dimming has been enabled

You will notice the picture quality improvement with Sky Glass Live TV/UHD HDR and with on demand content and also when using Sky Glass built in Apps 

You will also notice a improvement in with picture quality when using third party devices connected to Sky Glass Chromecast with Google TV/ UHD Blu-ray Player etc  and apps on those devices 

I use my Glass TV on Auto mode for most content with odd time using Movie Mode

I can see the a big difference since the local dimming has been enabled

I never use Vivid mode on any TV as that not a natual picture mode

‐-----‐----------------‐-------------------------------------
Sky Glass 65 inch and 2 Sky Stream Pucks
Gigabit Siro 100% Fiber Broadband with Digiweb
1000 Mbps download and 200 Mbps upload speed
I only use wired ethernet with Sky Glass and Sky Stream Pucks

@Paul+Boland 

It's good news if across the settings range, the press release was vivid only. For me auto dim and local are off as it makes the screen flicker slightly as it adjusts, very annoying.

The picture is better but it's not massively so, there is only so much Sky can do with software tweeks as you have to have a quality panel and in the Glass TV sadly it is not.

This message was authored by Paul+Boland This message was authored by: Paul+Boland

@Anonymous 

There is no auto dim mode 

Are you confusing that with Auto Backlight Adjustment that a different thing to local dimming 

Firmware QS013

Auto Backlight Adjustment that's now off by default previously was on by default and we had to set to off

Firmware QS013

Local dimming (This is accessed in custom settings) was not previously enabled  when set to on or off

Now that it's been enabled you will notice a huge difference if you levae it set to on

@Paul+Boland 

Yes, my terminology was incorrect.

The auto back-light was switched off day 1.

If I leave local dimming on the TV flickers "a fault maybe?". Turn it off and there is no issue.

It would be interesting to see if anyone else has this issue.

@Anonymous 

Local Dimming before Firmware Q13 was made available was a setting that was not enabled

It made no difference it was set to on or off 

When you get firmware Q13 on your Sky Glass goto custom settings and set local dimming to on if you had that previously set to off as this feature has now been enabled for use 

@Paul+Boland 

I think there is some confusion, I've had 13 4-5 days now. I did set local dimming on and it made the screen on occasion flicker/flash in certain areas, not pixelating or Stream judder.

Turn local dimming off no issues so set to off. Its fine I'll leave off as its only a bedroom TV.

It would be interesting to hear if anyone else experiencing the same.

This message was authored by Carnoch04 This message was authored by: Carnoch04

My Stream updated to 13 yesterday. Since then I have had trouble watching Apple tv (required a restart), I have been unable to watch "Veep" (stuck on "Waiting to load" and now I Player and All4 have stopped working. Nice update! 

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion